Breast lift vs reduction 34dd/ddd; what is the best type of lift for me?

I'm in mid 30s- 34dd/ddd bra size with sagging breasts but good volume /fullness. I'm interested in a lift, but how much would that typically reduce the breasts? I think I would be fine with a small 34d. Would 34c be a better option? Is there much difference between a lift and a reduction(in complexity , risk, and price)? Is there a benefit to the procedure with no vertical scar? I'm also very concerned about losing all nipple sensation. How common is that with large breasts? Thank you!

Breast options

Thanks for your inquiry, but without pictures it is hard for us to advise.  Ultimately, the position of the breast determines the role of the vertical scar.  Please seek an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.   

Breast lift vs reduction

A small breast reduction can be done with a lift, removing the lateral or armpit breasts are mandatory in a good lift. Also secondary breasts above the breast should be addressed. see a board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon in consultation. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

The Horndeski Method™

The best lift technique is The Horndeski Method™.  The breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness without implants, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  The weight of the breast is transferred to the underlying muscle resulting in immediate pain relief and long term stability.  This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars associated with the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.  This procedure takes 4 to 5 hours to complete.  Best Wishes,Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and/or reduction

These are all good questions. Reviewing your exact goals and performing an exam in person would be essential before determining what procedure would be best for you.  You may have several different options.

Some thoughts....

1. Sounds like you might have ptotic breasts which is just a fancy way to say that they have fallen from where we'd like for them to be which is above your inframammary fold.  You would benefit from a breast lift and your overall size will go down, but by how much is yet to be determined.  Keep in mind that your breasts will become more dense (like when you were younger- which is desirable) by keeping the same mass (weight or amount of tissue), but decreasing the volume that they take up (cup size). 

Physics Formula (bet you didn't think you were getting a physics lesson today!):

Density = Mass / Volume

The tighter your lift, the denser your breasts and the smaller the cup size you will ultimately have.  Communicate your goals directly and without hesitation to your plastic surgeon.2. Shouldn't be too much of a difference in cost.3. No vertical scar lifts have no power and lack ability to create the best shape (except in a small percentage of patients- like very small).4. 1/3 of patients have decrease in nipple sensation, 1/3 stay the same and 1/3 have an increase.  The larger you are and the smaller you go (and what technique is used) will affect where you sit on that spectrum.Make sure you choose a board certified plastic surgeon that gets incredible results with reductions and lifts!!  Hope this helps.-JGH

Breast Lift vs Breast Reduction

Hello, the main diference of both procedures are the quantity of tissue to be remove, you are 34D: 34= the size of your back, D= size of your breast. here its important to know what you want to get. with the reduction you can be B+ -- C. With the lift you can get a C+. its ideal to you send pictures of your breast to make an evaluation. the scar in both could be vertical, LJ or inverted T it depends what you need and what you want. about nipple sensation:  at first  ir will be altered but with time it will be getting better.  have a nice day!

Jean Paul Giudicelli Saba, MD

What is the best type of lift for you?

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a mastopexy

Breast lift vs reduction

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many options for different types of breast lift and reductions.  The right procedure for you would best be determined with an in-person evaluation.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast lift / reduction

Breast lift / reduction procedures are very similar procedures that typically have the same incision patterns.  The key difference is how much breast tissue is removed.  More tissue is removed with breast reductions.  In both situations the breast (nipple and areola are elevated).  Sensation to the nipple is usually preserved. A key question to answer is if upper pole volume is sufficient, if not a small implant can be added to give more upper pole roundness and volume.  Good luck!

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon