Breast implant removal; is this normal? (Photos)

I am 4 weeks post op breast implant removal. I am type 1 diabetic, and my healing is slower than normal. I have holes where my incisions separated. Is this normal, and should I be concerned? I've seen my dr. every week, and he has advised me to dress them with saline soaked gauze, antibiotics, and burn cream. None of this has fixed the problem, and you can see my flesh. Is this normal?

Diabetic and wound care

You have some delayed healing which is likely related to your diabetes. Local wound care often is the solution. Follow your surgeon's advise.

Diabetic with implant removal

Delayed wound healing is very common in diabetics.  The wound care regimen that your doctor has you on sounds appropriate.  It will likely take 4-6 weeks to heal these incisions but over time they will look fine.  While they may look a little scary to you, the incisions don't appear to be infected. The shiny pink tissue at the base of the wounds looks like good healthy granulation tissue and that will be necessary to heal the wounds.   I would try to keep your sugars very tightly controlled for the next few months in an effort to help these incisions heal.  Good luck, Dr. Summer Black

Thank you for your question and photos. It appears that you are having some delayed healing in those areas in your photos. It sounds like the wound care you are receiving is appropriate and you should be seeing improvement in the size of the wounds. As you know healing can take longer in patients with diabetes. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon