Breast augmentation using fat transfer. Is it viable and am I a good candidate? (photos)

I've looked into this procedure in conjunction with a breast lift as I've recently lost 80 lbs and have significant sagging and reduction in cup sizes. To clarify, I'm not looking to increase more than a cup size or two and am looking for a more natural alternative than implants. I am 5'6 and 155 lbs.

Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. Fat grafting is safe procedure. As a chief of plastic surgery for a hospital and a director of a breast center, we followed hundreds of my own patients that underwent fat grafting. We found that it is easy to differentiate between fat, calcifications and even scarring. The injections take place in the breast tissue and in the muscle. Under the muscle is a little worrisome due to possible complications  The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast augmentation using fat transfer. Is it viable and am I a good candidate?

Your expectations seem realistic and these procedures would be appropriate.

Beverly Hills, CA

Breast lift and fat grafting

You have enough breast tissue for lift and need small amount of for the upper pole fullness. I would not recommend going much bigger since you have history of breast sagging and you will have the same issue with much larger breast.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and fat graft breast augmentation is a great choice

A breast lift and a fat grafting breast augmentation can produce amazing and natural results.  The limitation to how much fat can be placed in your breasts relates to having enough fat available and enough space in your breast to place it. You can essentially double the size of your breast at the time of surgery...with the expectation that your augmentation will be around 50% bigger than you currently are when everything is done healing. It appears that you could go up a cup size or so.  The one thing about a breast fat graft augmentation is that it does not improve the shape of a droopy breast.  You certainly would need to do a lift to get a perky beautiful shape to your breasts.

Choose your surgeon very carefully as most don't do enough fat grafting to get great results consistently.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Assistant Clinical Professor &
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training,
McMaster University

Performing plastic surgery for Oakville, Mississauga, Burlington, Georgetown, Milton, Hamilton and Toronto.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Fat transfer to the breast is an excellent choice in the right patient. Fat is living and, like planting seeds in a garden, has to be distributed as millions of little parcels within healthy tissue so that it can take root and survive. There are limitations with regard to the amount of fat that can be transferred in any given session which depend on many variables such as the breast volume and donor site volume as well. Fat is also different than an implant in that it tends to be more of a broad-based wide base volume rather than a projecting type of filler. The amount of volume that is lost is also unpredictable and can vary from 20 to 50% depending on the patient and also the techniques that the surgeon utilizes.A breast lift is the concept of restoring the nipple to a more youthful position. Traditionally, this has involved separating the breast from the skin envelope so that relocation of the breast unit into a higher more youthful position can be achieved. This would involve separating the outer skin envelope from the breast and wouldn't necessarily create a large space  which would negate the ability of placing fat in that area. This is different than simply removing some skin around the areola and repositioning it which would preserve the deep space allowing more fat volume to be placed. Each patient is different and so both techniques of performing fat grafting together with a mastopexy and separately have pros and cons. From a technical point of view it is possible to combine fat grafting with a lift as has been performed often in my practice or to separate them. Although staging your procedures would add an extra surgery, the advantage would be to allow the breast to heal after thefat session or mastopexy is performed in order to more accurately assess the breast for the next stage. have a broader area in which to place the fat. There are many variables that go along with the procedures that you are interested in and I would certainly recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in the many aspects of breast surgery and fat transfer. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and fat

I respectfully disagree with some of the opinions posted.  I routinely perform breast lifts and fat transfer.  The fat is used for the cleavage area and upper poles and to help correct asymmetries which you have.  This is a safe option and will provide you with more fullness and better shape.  You cannot however increase 2 cup sizes with the combined procedure.  Best wishes.  

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and fat grafting to breasts

it is not ideal to combine breast lift with fat grafting as it increases risks and variability in outcome. A breast lift followed by fat grafting to breasts is a safer option. Fat grafting although has variable acceptance by body tissue it is a reasonably good option to improve the shape of the breasts and increase in a cup size. fat grafting can also be repeated for further improvement.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and fat grafting

I would suggest first doing a lift, then 3 months later fat grafting.

Your expectations are reasonable, and I think you will get a very nice result

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

A lift and fat transfer requires two stages with fat transfer at a later date. Implants can be placed at same time as lift. Fat transfer reliably increases volume only 150-200cc.

Fat transfer

Thank you for the photos.  A lift would be recommended followed by fat transfer after you are fully healed.  I do bot combine lifts and fat transfers at the same time.

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon