Bottom line is that I'm not happy with nose and would like to have rhinoplastic surgery. (photos)

I am not happy with my nose. I would like to have surgery to fix my nostrils, the top of my nose and the width overall. I don't want it to be super thin, I'd like it to mesh with my facial features. But I also don't want it wide either. Would that be possible? Also I have this app and it makes your face thinner around the jawline, nose slimmer and the eyes slightly wider. The picture on the right is of that, the left is of me. Would it be possible to have surgery for those things successfully?

African American Rhinoplasty

The ethnic nose needs alarplasty (narrowing of nostrils), narrowing the upper half (osteotomies) and lifting up the bridge (dorsal implant). All can be achieved. The narrowing of the face is very difficult and usually unnecessary. Most patients feel that a rhinoplasty alone makes the facial features more harmonious. So, I would recommend doing rhinoplasty first and then think about changing any facial features. 
Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

African American Rhinoplasty is a specialty and might be the right surgical option for you.

Hello, Danielle:

The issues you describe that make you unhappy with your nose are not uncommon and I would say by
looking at your initial picture on the left that it is a possibility to achieve the rhinoplasty result you want. 

It is very pleasing to hear that you want your nose to mesh with the rest of your facial features. That is crucial as it creates a harmonious appearance with your existing facial features. There is no one size fits all nose job. In your particular case, you would fall into the category of African-American Rhinoplasty surgery. Many of my African-American patients express they do not want to lose their ethnic identity or appear too Caucasian.

Changing your nasal aesthetics in too dramatic of a manner is one of the major motivations that caused me to make African American rhinoplasty a distinct focus of my practice. There are very specific and common nasal features in the African American community that are unique and when you research plastic surgeons you need to understand that board certifications matters. You need to research Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeons. Specifically, research rhinoplasty surgeons that specialize in African American nose surgery.

I think you have very realistic expectations and I would encourage you to research your options and schedule 2 or 3 consultations to find a surgeon that you have a unified vision with. You have to be on the same page as your surgeon to achieve your desired result.

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Your eyes can not be made surgically wider. Your jawline can be made soemwhat slimmer by bone reduction. The rhinoplasty you have shown and described is the most realistic of the facial changes you desire. As your stated nose shape goals are in line with what your thicker nasal skin will permit to occur.

Bottom line is that I'm not happy with nose and would like to have rhinoplastic surgery.

Dear Reader,
Thank you for your question.  Yes, Alar Wedge reduction would bring your nostrils in nicely to reduce the width, also a tip-plasty to refine and reshape the cartilage on the tip of your nose would further lessen the diameter resulting in a much more feminine and esthetically pleasing shape. A dorsal implant could be inserted to correct the height of your nose bridge for better profile symmetry.

Creating the appearance of wider eyes could be achieved by an osteotomy.

For the reshaping of your face, to narrow the appearance, you may be a candidate for micro-laser-liposuction.  This will narrow the shape of your face using micro-technology with skin tight properties.  Over the progressing several months afterwards you will continue to see further narrowing of your dermal layers as the collagen and elasticity is re-stimulated creating a tighter and more contoured jawline. 

We offer Concierge services for our out of state surgical patients.  Always schedule your consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive or Cosmetic Surgeon.

Best of Luck!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is possible

I believe it is possible to achieve your goals however I would encourage visiting with a rhinoplasty specialist who can preform computerized imaging. The most importnat aspect of rhinoplasty is leaving patients with a balanced, natural look. Those and other answers can be found in our book Rhinoplasty: Everything You Need to Know About Fixing and Reshaping Your Nose which is available on Amazon with proceeds going to victims of domestic violence. I wish the very best of luck in finding a rhinoplasty specialist.

Edwin F. Williams, III, MD
Latham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to narrow a wide nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish a narrowing at a wide nose. To narrow wide nostrils requires an alar plasty procedure which involves removal of a wedge of skin at the base of the nostrils and narrowing them. To narrow the tip requires a tip rhinoplasty. To narrow the bridge line requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones. For more information and many examples, please see the video and the link below

Other views would be helpful, and of course an in-person exam is key. If your dorsum is flat, then perhaps a graft would be helpful to make the nose look thinner.

Bottom line is that I'm not happy with nose

The procedure to make those changes would be to augment your nasal structures to make the dorsum and tip appear thinner through your thick skin. African Americans have thin cartilage for structural support but thick skin. This makes it critical to add structure to create the nose you are seeking. The more complicated the procedure, the more likely revisions are needed to get everything correct. This is what we tell everyone. 
This is a doable project but it is not simple. See a board certified plastic surgeon for good advice. Good luck. 

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

daniellesimone, your goals are reasonable in general but exactly what you can achieve is impossible to predict based on photos alone. Seek the opinion of an experienced specialist with decades of experience doing "only faces". Make sure they have a lot of good photos on their web site. Don't let anyone do your nostrils at the same time and your rhinoplasty. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

A rhinoplasty in which your nasal tip is thinned, your alar base is narrowed and your bridge is narrowed as well would be appropriate.  These changes are done typically in rhinoplasty procedures and you should have a successful outcome.   In addition some fat grafting to the cheeks would improve your cheek bone prominence.  Finally an upper eyelid procedure to lower your supratarsal fold would improve your eyes.