What procedures would you recommend if I came in for a consultation? (Photo)

Hello, I am 22 years old and I've lost 80 pounds in a little over a year. I feel as though I've hit a plateau and I am now interested in surgery. I'm not sure if my body is mostly fat or loose skin. Based on the picture provided what procedures would you recommend if I came in for a consultation.

Weight loss

Hi,

Thank you for your post. We advise patients to lose the amount of weight that they plan to lose prior to surgery. I would set up a consultation with your board certified plastic surgeon to see what your best options are. It is hard to tell from the pictures but I think you would best benefit from liposuction along with abdominoplasty.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

#liposuction #plasticsurgery #Tummytuck

Hello justasher, thank you for your excellent question. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle.   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My very best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

First let me congratulate you on losing 80 pounds. Judging from your photos before your weight loss, I suspect you need a full tummy tuck to remove excess skin and fat. The rectus muscles, of course, should be tightened as well. Your photos at your present weight are in adequate to make a definitive decision on all that you need, and you will definitely need a consultation and an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon for the final decision.

I do suggest the "no-drain tummy tuck," as it will reduce your recovery time, discomfort, and risks. Also you will not be encumbered with drains for 5 to 10 days.

Thank you for your question and photographs, and best of luck to you.

Liposuction and tummy tuck!!

Hello dear, thanks for your question. Liposuction slims and reshapes specific areas of the body by removing excess fat deposits and improving your body contours and proportion. 

Ideal liposuction candidates are:

• Adults within 30% of their ideal weight who have firm, elastic skin and good muscle tone
  • Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
  • Non-smokers
  • Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for body contouring

If you are bothered by excess fat deposits – located anywhere on your body – that don’t respond to diet or exercise, liposuction may be right for you.

I recommend to visit a board certified plastic surgeo for a person evaluation and to talk about your goals.

Cosmetic Surgery after Weight Loss

Congratulations on your weight loss, you should be proud! Physical Exam is optimal but it appears that you are a good candidate for Lipo with or without excision of redundant skin of your arms and abdomen. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Body contouring

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss.  Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  An arm lift can be done at the same time.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Body changes after 80lb weight loss

Wow and congratulations.  What a dramatic change.

After such weight loss the predominant problem is usually skin laxity.  Can't tell from your photos but it doesn't look like liposuction would have much to offer (I could be wrong however, the reason for a face to face exam).

Most patients in your situation consider a tummy tuck, brachioplasties (arm lifts) and if you're bothered by rubbing and irritation, an inner thigh lift.

Meet with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon to get advice based on a face to face examination and consultation and best wishes!

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Once you are within 10 pounds of your goal weight schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon.  The areas you should address are the ones that bother you, not the ones others say you should address.  You will most likely benefit from procedures that address loose skin.  At 22 a tummy tuck is not recommended unless you have already had children with no plans for more.

Camille Cash, MD

Lose all weight first

Lose all your weight first and then consider an examination by a plastic surgeon.    You likely will benefit from s combination of liposuction and skin excision.   My Best,  Dr Commons.