Can the amount of Voluma needed to get good results be estimated at a consultation?

During a consultation, as doctors can you estimate how many syringes it will take to get good results? I think many of us are disappointed because it takes much more Voluma than discussed at consultation. The result is often that the patient does not have enough money for the additional injections and therefore, the procedure is not effective. That can be very disappointing and frustrating.

Thank you for your question Lizzielou. Voluma is a filler used to enhance the appearance of the face. You raise an excellent point. The amount of filler required varies from person to person. For example mature patients with significant volume loss will require more syringes that those with less volume loss. This is one of the reasons why an in-office consultation is required. For my patients I often start with two syringes of Voluma. This is a conservative start. Then patients come back two weeks later once the swelling has subsided to take after photographs and assess the results. At that time more filler can be used if further enhancement is desired. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Encino Physician

Voluma consultation

Thank you for your question.  The more experience the injector has using Voluma, I think the better they are at being able to inform a patient on how much Voluma to plan on.  It typically will take 2-3 syringes to do cheeks in an average 50 year old woman of average weight.   (I like to place Voluma in the posterior cheek area so it lifts the face but still looks natural and not so towards the front or apex of cheek, which I think is why so many people are having problems and complaining of their results on this website).  

During a consultation, the injector will likely be assessing the face and asking about the patient's goals.  There are a lot of variables to consider: age, height, weight, facial shape and structure, and goals of the patient.  There are many other ways to use Voluma besides the cheekbone area.  I would recommend you go to an experienced Board-Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon in your area.  Recommendations from friends who have had it done AND that you like the results of how they look is truly the best way to go.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry for your frustration and understand your concerns.  Yes, an experienced injector should be able to evaluate your age, facial structures and volume loss to give you a reasonable estimate of the number of syringes that you will need to receive your desired outcome.  For example, I will never predict that a patient will need exactly 4 syringes, I give a range between 3 to 5 syringes so that they have realistic expectations and can plan their budget accordingly.  Also, it is very rare that a patient will only need 1 or even 2 syringes of anything to receive a desired cheek augmentation.  All the best and call your injector with your concerns.

Take Care,
Dr. Serrao

Estimate of injectables

Great question, Lizzielou.  You have hit on a central challenge in all of plastic surgery and cosmetic medicine:  meeting patient expectations.  I think most experienced injectors can reasonably estimate approximately how many syringes it will take to achieve "full correction" of a crease or augmentation of a facial feature.  One of the issues however, is that many patients are reluctant to get full correction.  Understandably, patients are conscientious about expenses, or fear dramatic change.  It comes down to very precise communication with the patient to understand their expectations, and honest and candid discussion with the practitioner about what it will take to achieve that goal.  Make certain that you find a physician willing to spend the time to speak with you, assess your anatomy, discuss your goals and expectations, and ensure a great experience.  Best of luck!

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

How much voluma

I am often able to reasonably predict how much voluma a person will need for the perfect amount of volume restoration in a consult.  I encourage you to consult with an experienced injector. Stay skintastic. 

Sandra M. Johnson, MD
Fort Smith Dermatologist

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

I tell people that its best to do small amounts of filler over time to determine optimal correction. Often it is hard to know how much filler is needed to get the full correction at the initial consult.  Many doctors underestimate this. For example in the studies for voluma so sites used up to 6 syringes to contour the cheeks.  I suggest combining with sculptra or using more filler or considering a different type.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Voluma Consultation

Both myself, and my nurse injector, Annie Bruno take the time to assess the unique needs of our patients in a consultation appointment. We have an open discussion regarding patient desired outcomes, long-term goals, as well as financial restraints and realistic outcomes prior to beginning any injection procedure. I hope this is helpful for you!

Wishing you all the best,

Dr. Todd Hobgood, MD

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Estimating Voluma Syringes and Cost

The amount of dermal filler needed and number of syringes required is based on individual need. The desired level of enhancement impacts the number of syringes required to provide the best results. During your consultation a certified injector will be able to discuss a plan, estimate the number of syringes needed to help achieve your goals, and review your budget.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

During any of the injectable consultations, I specifically let patients know what product and how many syringes will be used. There are never any surprises.

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Recommended Amount of Voluma

Thank you for your excellent question.  Sorry that you are feeling disappointed and frustrated because more Voluma might be needed in your case.  An in-person consultation allows for a discussion of your goals and expectations, and for your plastic surgeon to formulate a treatment plan to achieve those goals.  A treatment plan should include the recommended amounts of each product for full correction of age-related volume loss.  Due to cost considerations, the treatments can certainly be separated into different office visits.  Excellent results can be achieved with both Juvederm and Voluma in correcting age-related volume loss.  The key to achieving those results is understanding that the amount of product required for full correction varies based on the individual.  Please be sure to see an experienced injector and ask him or her to help you to create a treatment plan that works for your budget.  Best wishes!