After a breast lift and sub muscular implant, how long until I can pick up my 12 month old baby?

After nursing 4 children a year each I have nothing left but skin. My main concern is the recovery length. I need to be able to pick up the baby soon after. My other children are now older but the baby was a bit of a late in life surprise. Since I am turning 40 I just can not wait another 8 years for my breasts to start to come back.

Typical answer is 4-6 weeks

I know that sounds like an eternity, but I limit rigorous exercise and weight lifting for 4-6 weeks depending on what surgery is done.  In reality, the first week is crucial and the first 48 hours is critical.  Lifting a child with precautions taken to minimize your chest muscle contractions are all things to discuss.  Lifting with your legs and squatting down to pick up/scoop up instead of just grabbing with your arms outstretched and pulling your toddler to your chest are some things that we can discuss that allow you to still get on with your life and minimize your risks of pulled muscles or post-operative bleeding.  We all know you can't put a hold on being the command center for your family and children.  I remember those years well.  Hope this helps.

-JGH

Breast lift with submuscular implants - how soon to pick up my baby?

Thank you for asking about your breast lift with implants.

• Congratulations on your family - definitely time to do something for yourself.
  • A lot depends on the size of your implants, your surgeon, the age and weight of the baby and how much help you will have and if you will have Exparel injected into the muscle at surgery to control pain.
  • But on average, without Exparel and with average sized implants for your frame - day 3 you will still hurt but may be able to lift the baby if you take your time. Day 5 should be fine.
  • If you are having large implants for your frame, e.g. high profile implants, it may be much longer.
  • Your surgeon should be able to give you specific advice once your implants are chosen and s/he knows more details about the situation.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Picking up your child after a breast lift with implants

Every doctor has his or her own protocol, but this is what I tell my patients: For the first few days, you will need to depend on someone else to lift your baby. Beginning on Day 3 (if you had surgery on Monday, Day 3 is Thursday), you can lift your baby – when necessary – into and out of a crib, high chair or car seat. This restriction is to ensure your comfort and minimize the risk of bleeding around the implants. If I could, I would make you wait longer, but I understand that most women can’t depend on someone else to help them for an entire week. You should not carry your child around all day until a couple of weeks after surgery. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Lifting child

Thank you for your question.  This is a vey common concern of mothers with young children.  I restrict my patients to not perform any heavy lifting for six weeks following their surgeries.  I advise them to seek some help with caring for their children during the recovery period.  Given that each patient and surgeon is different though, it would be best for you to address this concern with your operating surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Picking up child after Aug mastopexy

This question will be best answered by your surgeon. I typically have my patients avoid heavy lifting after this surgery for 4 weeks. Those with small children I recommend having some help around immediately after surgery. Most repairs are very durable and holding your child intermittently should not cause severe problem when wearing support. You can never stop being a mother! Be careful! 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

The longer you can wait to pick up your baby the better

Hello and thank you for your question. For the post-op routine for my breast augmentation and lift patients, my personal goal is to try and 1) get my patients back to their work or usual activities and 2) off of pain medications, as soon as possible. Regarding activities, I forbid any heavy lifting >10 lbs for minimum 2 weeks. At week 3, I allow for an increase in activities as tolerated. However, I still do not allow exercises that activate the pectoralis major muscle for 1 month because I want the pocket that I have formed for the breast implant to be stable and I want the scar tissue that forms to preserve this pocket to be more reliable and prevent activity that can cause the muscle to stretch/rip or move the implant in a less than ideal position. I also don't allow submerging the incisions in a bathtub, pool, ocean, etc for 1 month. Underwire bras are typically discouraged for 6 months, but other than that, almost all of my patients are back to whatever they were doing before surgery, within a month after surgery. Again, what I mentioned above for my patients are a generalization and the regimen I prescribe for each patient is customized to their particular surgery and expected needs. Also remember that the breast implants need some time to "drop and fluff:" in most people they ride high for 1-3 months before they fall into their ideal position. I hope this helps answer your question. Please seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and follow their specific instructions for what helps them achieve success in their patients.

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Thank you for your question.  In general, I tell my patients to avoid heavy lifting or strenuous activity for about 4 weeks after a procedure like this.  This may change depending on each individual's recovery course.  Be sure to discuss these points with your surgeon.  Best of luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... I have to say that you have to be careful with the pushing and pulling after a breast augmentation with lift, you will be able to do it after at least 4 months from surgery, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD