Have I pulled a chest muscle 5 weeks post op? I briefly lifted my 5 year old around week 4 and since have been in a lot of pain.

I am especially in pain when I lay down in bed and can't lay on my side, which I have been doing for weeks. The pain has gotten worse and it is difficult to take a deep breath without having a stabbing pain in my right upper breast area. I am taking advil every four hours. I saw my surgeon on Tuesday and he said this is common and should resolve itself. I have also been able to feel 'bubbles' on the outer edge of the same breast. My surgeon said this is the implant and that it won't go away.

Implant issues

I am glad that you have seen your doctor of the pain. That was very important to make sure everything was OK.  It is common for patients to feel the implant in the lower pole. This is where there is often little soft tissue covering the implant.

Pain After Breast Augmentation

I would continue to follow closely with your surgeon, especially if the pain is worsening.  

Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues.  If your surgeon saw you for an in-person examination and did not see any significant issues this may be a soft tissue injury with a muscle pull and likely cramp that has not been able to fully relax.  This may take a few days to fully resolve or you may want to ask your surgeon about a possible muscle relaxant.  Bubbles in the tissues in and around the site of surgery is not uncommon and tends to resolve with additional healing time but if the bubbles are the implant these may not.  Maintain close follow up with your surgeon to avoid any additional issues.