I am 52 and tried everything to lose 50 lbs, with no results. Am I a good candidate for this procedure if coolsculpting?

Liposuction and Coolsculpting and Weight Loss

No non invasive procedure is for those overweight. There is no reason why you cannot, this will help improve the weight loss but you will likely not notice much change or contour improvement.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting provides shaping, not significant weight loss

Hi mel64.  Good candidates for CS have excess pinchable fat (under the skin, atop muscles).  Each applicator placement will yield about a 25% reduction in fat.  Since fat doesn't weigh much, there is not as significant a change in weight as there is shaping from reducing the volume of the fat-this holds true of liposuction as well.  The best shaping occurs when the entire anatomic area is treated-may require 2 or more applicators for a given area.  Be sure to seek a certified CS specialist in an ABPS certified Plastic surgeon's office so that you can have a consultation for CS and contrast it to liposuction.  Best wishes,

CoolSculpting to change shape

CoolSculpting is a wonderful treatment when you are interested in contouring your shape. This procedure does not promote weight loss. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for assistance. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Coolsculpting targets unwanted pockets of fat in common areas of concern such as the abdomen, love handles, inner and outer thighs, bra bulge, and double chin. It is not designed as a weight loss treatment but it could benefit you depending on your candidacy which would be determined at an in person consultation.

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Thank you for your question. As you may already know, Coolsculpting changes your shape. The coolsculpting causes the fat cells to die so you look thinner in the areas treated but it does not change your weight.  If you are wanting to look better in your clothes and feel better about your shape despite your weight, Coolsculpting may be great for you. The best way to know for sure is with an in person consultation.  

Coolsculpting to loose 50 pounds

Thank you for your question. Coolsculpting treatment is for body sculpting and contouring the areas  of subcutaneous fat. It does not treat the fat which is around your internal organs(Visceral fat).  It is not a technology for weight loss. However it is an option for debulking fat pockets that persist after diet and exercise. An evaluation with a physician who is experienced in Coolsculpting treatments will help you determine if you are a candidate for body contouring.

Thanks for your question. Coolsculpting is a procedure designed for people close to their ideal weight with stubborn pockets of fat. It is not meant as a weight loss procedure. You could always have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options. Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon