Can my nose be fixed? (Photo)

I am looking to get a rhinoplasty. I had an open septoplasty to correct my deviated septum in Jan '11, and my nose is worse than before. My septum looks terrible and I have developed a "hump" on my nose. I only take pictures on the right side of my face because I am self conscious of my nose. I can breathe out of both nostrils but the right nostril does not allow to put out as much as the left. So, when I get a cold and my left side is stopped up, it is difficult to breathe. Needs to be fixed!

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Rhinoplasty to address the size and shape of your nose should help you address your concerns. You have to understand that there is no such thing as the “perfect” nose. As rhinoplasty surgeons, we are able to improve the structure and function of the nose to address specific issues you have with how your nose looks and and how well you can breathe. Perfect symmetry does not exist in nature. Attempts to improve the symmetry of your nose should be aimed at achieving an improvement in your asymmetry to the point where it is no longer very noticeable. If you look carefully enough, you will always be able to find imperfections. The goal is a normal looking nose that is in harmony with the rest of your anatomy.

Your nose can be improved

Thanks for your question. Your nose has a few problems as I see them. Since we can't see the rest of your face, I can't comment on how it fits in with your overall profile, so we'll skip that. Your nose is indeed crooked, and it's because of your septum most likely. I agree that you have a dorsal hump. Your tip is bulbous and your left nasal ala isn't well supported. This can be helped, but you may require quite a bit of grafting to achieve your goals. Since you already had a septoplasty, you may be looking at using ear cartilage (for the left nasal ala for sure) and possibly rib to properly support the rest of your nose. Be sure you visit with somebody who is comfortable with complicated revision cases. Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Nose surgery

Your photos show a nose bridge hump, and nasal deviation.  I usually recommend waiting at least 9-12 months after initial surgery to pursue surgical revision.  Discuss your concerns with your nose surgeon; if you feel your concerns are not well addressed, seek out another opinion with a surgeon who performs revision, functional, and cosmetic rhinoplasty often.  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Goals

A rhinoplasty specialist will be able to comprehensively address the issues you have with your nose, both cosmetic and functional. While there are a variety of approaches and techniques employed by various surgeons, it is up to you to do your due diligence to find a rhinoplasty specialist in order to achieve the best results possible. Using autologous grafts (tissue and cartilage from your own body) will provide the safest and most permanent results.

Looking at computer-morphed images with your surgeon during consultation will give you a good idea of what is possible, and also give you a great chance to convey to your surgeon what you envision.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

A septorhinoplasty can address the deviation of the septum that might be affecting the right side.  It will also reduce the nasal hump and the tip plasty can make the nasal tip more appealing.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal deformity after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  The photographs are quite blurry and it appears that there is collapse of the nasal base, especially the left lower lateral cartilage.  The nasal tip appears to have excess scar tissue, referred to as pollybeak deformity.  The transition between the nasal dorsum and the nasal tip looks abnormal.  It appears you will require a revision rhinoplasty.  This can be accomplished with meticulous surgical techniques and specialized nasal grafts.  The grafts can be harvested from your ear and/or your rib.  Additionally, grafts can be used "off the shelf" from the Musculoskeletal Translant Foundation.  Best wishes in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS, member ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

It would be helpful to see your preop photos as well. Full face photos would be helpful.  A septoplasty will often be done only to try to correct deviation and nothing more.  A full rhinoplasty was probably what you needed.

neednewnoseasap, Your photos indicate that you would benefit from a revision. I would strongly suggest you bring your previous op note with you as it appears you had more than a septoplasty. You have some facial asymmetries that would need to be adressed. Make sure you see an experienced surgeon that does "only faces" and one that has a lot of good photos to review. Search the Internet. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can my nose be fixed?

Your nose can  be better. I would see your surgeon and discuss your goals and why your nose looks the way it does. Make sure you are on the same page. If after time the issues you bring up do not resolve on their own, then a second surgery may be the way to go. Computer imaging is a way to ensure both you and your surgeon know what you want. Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon