Is this normal? One breast seems significantly larger. 2 weeks post-op (Photo)

I had a breast augmentation approximately 2 weeks ago. My pre-op breasts were not symmetrical so my plastic surgeon decided to use a slightly larger implant in the smaller breast (339cc right/371cc left). I had silicone mod plus implants placed behind the muscle. I am worried that my doctor got the implants mixed up during surgery. Could it be the the larger implant (left) is just tighter behind the muscle and will eventually even out with the right? The right does seem to be softer.

Uneven Breasts Following Breast Augmentation

#Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing.
But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

Breast augmentation

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. Patience is one of the most important factors in achieving the best results in cosmetic surgery. We all want to see the final result as early as possible. Unfortunately, the healing process is complicated and takes time. The surest way to get a poor result is to undergo revision surgery before your body is ready for additional surgery.

Breast augmentations take about six months for the swelling to go down and the breasts to settle and assume their final size and shape. When we do a breast enlargement, surgeons try to center the implant behind the nipple. Minor position adjustments can be accomplished to account for the normal asymmetry that most women have. If the breasts are different sizes, saline implants can be adjusted to achieve better symmetry.

Please wait until six months post op and then return to your original surgeon. Minor asymmetry is normal. Too vigorous surgical approaches may result in more expense, more scarring, and new complications.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Implant issue

The best thing to do is discuss your procedure with your surgeon. Best to review what he did.  Good luck.

Asymmetric swelling

Thank you for your question. There could be a number of reasons for one breast appearing larger or feeling firmer after surgery. This may not be problematic but I recommend that you be examined in person as soon as possible to rule out any complications.

All the best

Is this normal? One breast seems significantly larger. 2 weeks post-op

I must agree wit you and recommend you see your surgeon ASAP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its too early to talk about final results. 
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for your question and photograph, and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated. I can see the asymmetry that you are referring to but without an in-person examination or pictures of you before surgery it is difficult to make the best recommendations.  Oftentimes the smaller side that has the large implant will have a greater amount of swelling as it has greater stretching of the skin and muscle.  Hang in there and allow your results to mature over the 6 months before assessing your long-term results.    

Asymmetry may be normal at 2 weeks post-op

I certainly see the asymmetry that you are talking about, and if I'm understanding you correctly, the smaller implant is in the right breast, which now appears to be the larger one.  Often this occurs because the smaller implant is typically placed in the larger natural breast with more tissue to swell, so in the early postop period the increased swelling can make the asymmetry even more pronounced.  While strange things like switching implant sides are always possible, this is very unusual for most surgeons, and your surgeon should be able to tell whether this happened right away from the operating room record, as most surgical facilities require that the nurse, not the doctor, complete this record, and this should include the labels from the exact implants designating the exact sides into which they were placed.  In any event, you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon to get his input into the situation, but most of all, you will need to be patient at this point and allow your tissues to heal.  In the end, there may be some residual asymmetry still, and once things heal and stabilize you and your surgeon will be better able to evaluate the situation and plan for any further action if needed.  Good luck.

Is this normal? One breast seems significantly larger. 2 weeks postop.

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Usually, final results may not be seen for approximately 3-6 months.

Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately.  It does appear that one is significantly more swollen, but no hematoma appears to be present on the photo submitted. Postoperative evaluation should be done soon, if not already, in order to examine. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Postop asymmetry

Hello, it is not uncommon for one breast to be more swollen than the other in the early postoperative period.  However,  I would suggest ongoing followup with your surgeon and let them know your concerns.