Should I get surgery? (photo)

I grew up with what seems a bruise on the bridge of my nose. It wasn't so noticeable when i was small but now it's showing more as I grow and everyone always asks me why I have a bruise . its super thin on that side only and you can feel my bone as if it didn't have any skin . There is also a small bump and sometimes I have breathing problems.

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump removal

A closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish removal of the dorsal hump with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose.  The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down in order to remove it.  Osteotomies placed in the nasal bones are also required to narrow the nasal bridge, and close the open roof created from hump removal.  A bulbous tip can also be reduced and refined as well so that all the components of the nose balance with themselves.  For more information and many examples, please see the video and the link below.

Correcting a nasal hump deformity and a wide bridge with breathing problems.

The bottom line is that a septorhinoplasty would help to not only improve the appearance of the dark area and the bump but also your breathing issues. It is an outpatient procedure and by removing the bump and narrowing the wideness in the upper part of your nose this would help with the darkness in the skin you are seeing. Normally the skin is thinner in that part of your nose and any irregularities can easily be seen. The breathing is typically related to a septum issue where the inside part may be blocking some of one or both nostrils. I would recommend a board certified facial plastic surgeon as they typically have expertise in both the inside and outside of your nose. Good luck in yo

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Should I get surgery?

Cosmetic Surgery is recommended only when the patient desires it. If you desire your nose to look its best, I would then consider a Primary Rhinoplasty. I would encourage you to see a Board Certified PS with extensive experience in Rhinoplasty and who will consider the endo-nasal/ closed technique- without leaving a scar on your columella

Perhaps.

Thank you for your question. From your photographs it appears that you have a legitimate concern. It is best to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon whose aesthetics align with your own sense of what looks pretty, natural, and "unoperated". Be thoughtful and deliberate with your research and don't hesitate to seek more than one opinion if you have any fears or uncertainty. Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction. Your breathing problems can also be improved during this surgery.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Should I get surgery

Greetings Thank you for your question and photo. If this bothers you very much then you can opt for Rhinoplasty Surgery which will solve your breathing problem.There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon