Can I ask for a revision? My breasts are asymmetrical. (photos)

I had my BA done almost two months ago. On the day of surgery my doctor gave me 400 ccs in my right and 375 ccs in my left. I never noticed that much asymmetry before, but now the breast with the larger CCs is significantly larger! Can I ask for a revision surgery? How much will it cost? My watch it on my left hand in the after pictures for reference.

2 months post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Small difference

you do have some size difference from right to left, as ALL woman do and you are no different. The 25cc is a very small difference in the size of the implants and wont make a huge difference on the table for the result. It appears you have a fairly nice result, waiting it out another few months prior to asking for revision surgery is reasonable. 

I do see asymmetry but I don't know what the breasts looked like before surgery. I would wait another 1-2 months and then return to your PS. If you are not satisfied with your surgeon's response you may want to  consult with 1 or 2 other Board Certified PS. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Can I ask for a revision? My breasts are asymmetrical.

Thank you for your question and photo.  I do see the asymmetry that dimension.   However 25 cc is a very very small implant size difference.

I honestly think it is too early to think about a revision with a smaller implant.  You are still swollen and the implant and your breast will adjust more over the next 2-3 months.  If at 6 months the size difference is still bothering you that be the time I would consider placing a smaller implant.   To do it too early might result in the breast appearing to small compared to the other side.

However it is appropriate to see her surgeon now  and discuss your unhappiness so that at 6 months a revision will be possible.

Breast Asymmetry?

I appreciate your concern, but it is a bit early in your postop course to think about revisions. Your photos demonstrate a very nice result! Try to be patient and remember, it it very rare to see perfectly symmetrical breasts, with or without surgery! Give it another 3-4 months and then evaluate with your surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Breast augmentation

Yes, I appreciate some asymmetry. You should give it 4 months or so to see if some of the difference is related to swelling.  Best of luck.

Thanks for your question.

The answer is not as simple as the question. All women have some native asymmetry, and you did demonstrate this before your surgery, as you do a bit after surgery. The question is not whether it exists, but rather, how much this bothers you. the size difference is very subtle by your photos, but the nipple position asymmetry is more evident in the nude, and this is much more a function of your anatomy than your surgery. 

Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and he or she will e able to critically evaluate you and let you know about your options. Overall it appears that you have a very nice result. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

From your photographs, there was some pre operative asymmetry that will sometimes be magnified after surgery. However, there appears to be more than a 25 cc difference in size. A simple in office ultrasound can readily discern whether a small fluid collection has appeared around the right implant. As far as costs go, each office will have their own policy.  I recommend you follow up with your operating plastic surgeon  Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend consulting with your surgeon so they can perform a physical examination. You are still early in your recovery period and while there is swelling present, the breasts may appear uneven. Over the first 6-8 weeks the swelling should begin to resolve and the breasts will start to drop into their pockets and appear more natural and symmetrical. Everyone heals at different rates and one side may heal quicker than the other. I would wait until you are at least 6 months post op to make a final judgement on the symmetry of your breasts and then consider a revision at that point. Cost varies depending on your location and the surgeon, this would be best answered by your plastic surgeon. Best of luck in your recovery.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I see your area of concern but I would first allow your results to fully mature over a six month range before assessing any residual asymmetries.  Breast augmentation results will continue to change subtly over this period of time. If at six months you still feel the asymmetry is noticeable, you can discuss exchanging the larger breast implant with a smaller one.  Hope this helps.