Male diagnosed with Chronic Telogen Effluvium at 21. How bad is the shed from starting minoxidil?

As the question implies, I'm considering starting rogaine since the trigger of my CTE or succesive waves of TE (whichever one it is) is very emotionally difficult to fully remove. I'm also about to start therapy so maybe that can help too. How bad is the initial shed from starting rogaine? I know it's not FDA approved for TE or CTE but I've heard some mixed reviews but also good things from using it. I'd assume im a good candidate too, since im 21 and stared shedding about a year and a half ago.

Thank you for your question. Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

The Best Hair Loss Solution

The downside isn't necessarily the shedding, it's that any topical treatment for hair growth, if the cause of loss is genetic, will cause the hair to revert to its normal state if you stop treatment.  Injections with progesterone and PRP may help give you permanent improvement.  I suggest you see a hair loss expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

CTE and male pattern balding, how to tell the difference

This is a difficult condition to treat.  You must be certain that this is not a manifestation of male patterned balding and thinning. Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon