Could the lack of regrowth in my chronic telogen effluvium be caused by iron defficiency?

I'm 21 and a male. I have been diagnosed by my dermatologist with chronic telogen effluvium. About a year and a half ago the shedding started in large amounts a few months following a series of emotionally traumatic events. The hair never really started to grow back much while my other hairs grew somewhat normally. I recently had blood tests that showed I am anemic. If my iron is low and has been for years could this be partly why i'm not having much regrowth?

Iron deficiency in men: Is it a cause of my hair loss?

If a male is anemic, meaning a hemoglobin less than 120 g/L  (12.0 g/dL) a full medical evaluation of that male is needed. It's extremely extremely rare for men to have anemia, unless in cases of known thalassemia or sickle cell. Dietary issues, coexisting systemic inflammation conditions and systemic autoimmune conditions needed to be evaluated as to sources of blood loss. 

A male with an anemia needs full evaluation. Chronic telogen effluvium is quite rare in men, and highly unusual for a diagnosis of hair loss in a 21 year old male. Please see a specialist. 

Thanks for your query. Anemia is one of the leading causes of hair fall. You should consider correcting your anemia first, this will lead to your hair regrowth and you need not do anything. If it still doesn’t correct then you can use minoxidil 1ml twice daily. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Iron deficiency and Hair loss

It is possible that those are related.  I would have your physician replenish your iron stores and then you can see if your shedding slows down or stops after 3 months.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Iron deficiency can it cause hair loss?

iron deficiency may be related to your hair loss. One of the causes of hair loss in women is iron deficiency therefore its best to check that out .

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

CTE

If you have an iron deficiency, then you need to address it and there can be an association between the hair loss and the deficiency

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Getting to the root cause of hair loss and hair loss treatment with prp and progesterone

Yes, iron deficiency can cause some hair loss. I suggest seeing a hair loss expert to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone and/or hair transplantation if needed. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer