Can an iron deficiency contribute to chronic telogen effluvium?

I'm a 21 year old male diagnosed with cte. 2 years ago I had extreme emotional stresses that happened at once and even persist now. Noticed hair loss since 4 months after the main stress. I developed heart arrhythmia from the stress, which has become common. One episode put me in the hospital. I may also have anemia from many years of a diet low in iron/red meat and high in green tea (blocks absorption of iron from plants). Could this contribute to cte? I'm an athlete that exercises 5 days/week

Iron deficiency can contribute to chronic telogen effluvium.

A number of factors can contribute to chronic telogen effluvium, iron deficiency being one. It is best to have a set of lab work done to rule out any other underlying factors as well as consultation with a hair restoration specialist.

West Hollywood Hair Restoration Surgeon

Last contacted 8 days ago

Definitely Doesn't Help, but there is Hope

An iron deficiency can have hair loss symptoms. I would have an evaluation with a Dr. to look into anemia and options. For hair loss, there are many options: progesterone and PRP injections along with hair transplants. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Last contacted 2 hours ago

Telogen Effluvium

Telogen effluvium (TE) is a non-scarring condition where hairs are inappropriately shed. Often occurs after a stress as you mentioned, with recovery in about 2-3 months. Occasionally the shed is prolonged, and ongoing medical issues may lead to a chronic TE. I generally check the following labs for hair loss (in truth, a lab abnormality is rarely the sole cause of hair loss): complete blood count, thyroid function, iron studies including ferritin. I encourage my TE patients to follow a well-rounded diet, judicious amounts of exercise and mindful stress reduction. Best of luck!

Elizabeth Damstetter, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Last contacted 2 months ago