I am 6 months breast augmentation surgery. my incisions feeling sensitive and they look somewhat irritated. (photos)

Is this normal? I am 6 months post-op from breast augmentation surgery. I have noticed my incisions feeling sensitive and they look somewhat irritated. I have winced removed all wires from my bras and started putting a sports bra on as soon as I get home or even at work. I'm worried my scars will always look like this. Is this normal? What can I do to eliminate any permnanet damage? Will a scar cream work like mederma? What can I do to reduce what I see and/or is this normal.

Scarring after BA

When recovering from breast augmentation surgery, it is important to consider a scar therapy to diminish the appearance your scars. Most scars will begin to mature after 6 months, however if the scars continue to bother the patient they may require intervention or even a scar revision. All scars can benefit from bioCorneum, which is frequently recommended by plastic surgeons. The silicone blend of bioCorneum helps with hydration and collagen regulation, allowing your skin to heal more quickly. The added SPF 30 helps prevent any sun-induced damage to the scar. Consult your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding a scar therapy that would work best for you. Good luck in your research!

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

BA incisions

It is important to first consult with your surgeon so he can give you a physical exam, especially if they are feeling sensitive and irritated, it could be sign of a complication but your scars will continue to change as they are healing. It takes about a year for your scars to fully heal, it is important to practice proper skin protection during this period and after, limit sun exposure to the area and always wear a high SPF over the scars when outside. If at a years time you are still unhappy with your scars there are laser treatment options and topical scar creams you can use to help reduce the size and appearance of the scars. I hope this helps.
Good luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Scars

I typically recommend Silicone gel or sheeting as well as scar massage and sun protection. It will take at least a year for your scars to mature and fade but if you feel they are becoming more raised and red then you should ask your Plastic Surgeon to assess in person.
All the best

Scarring after breast implants

A typical scar goes through several phases of wound healing and most look their worst at about three months after surgery. As the scar tissue starts to remodel itself, however, the scar should improve.  It takes approximately 12-18 months for a scar to fully mature. At six months, I would anticipate that your scars would be improving, however in your photo your scars do appear to be a bit thick and red.  This doesn't look like an infection to me; the scars looks slightly hypertrophic (meaning that you have healed too well and have excess scar tissue).  There are a number of ways to correct this.  Certainly massage as frequently as possible will help.  Some people seek this from someone trained in scar management if they have insurance that will cover it.  You can use any cream, and there is very little evidence for the expensive "scar" creams, so just using your regular moisturizer is probably good enough.  If this isn't helping, topical silicone or silicone gel sheets can help to flatten scars and remove the redness. These need to be worn ~23 hours/day for at least a month and maybe longer, but they are relatively easy to tuck into a bra or clothing.  If this doesn't work, injecting the scar with steroid can help to thin the tissue and flatten the scar.  The last option is to go back in and excise the old scar and create a new one.  Usually this can be done under local anaesthetic.  Sometimes avoiding dissolvable sutures can help.  Speak to your surgeon to see what the best option for you might be.  Good luck!

Thickened scars

Your scars appear a bit thickened. You might benefit from some form of scar treatment. Best to review with you surgeon as each is a bit different.

Scar post BA (6 months post)

Hello!Your scars are a bit thickened and with this it is not uncommon to experience itching and discomfort at the scar sites. Scar remedies may be considered at this point. Topical therapies like bio-oils, mederma, coconut oil massaged in well 2x/day may help. Biocorneum is available through some doctors' offices and this is an "amp-ed up" topical therapy with silicone in it. You can also try applying silicone gel strips to the scars. You should try these for a couple of months. If they do not work, consider steroid treatment or excision and re-closure of the incision sites, typically performed under local anesthesia.Good luck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Scars post BA

In general, scars get red, thick and hard for about three months.  Then they tend to soften, flatten and fade.  This whole process usually takes a year or two to get as good as they are going to get.  At this stage, scar products will likely be of little benefit, but you can use them if you wish.  You should avoid sun exposure tot he scars as long as they are pink or red.  Worst case, the scars can always be revised surgically.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon