Anesthesia question

I am having a tummy tuck and breast lift and I was interested to know what options and differences in anesthesia are best suited and the cost factor? Or is there one general type for the type of surgery I am having?

Anesthesia Question.

Thank you for your question. The best way to obtain an accurate answer is to discuss this concern with the surgeon you are having the procedure with. The surgeon will be able to tell you the options your a candidate for and costs associated.

Anesthesia options are varied at a hospital outpatient center. In a private office setting, the options may be more limited. Although there are some anesthesia risks. Your recovery depends on the surgery and surgeon.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

There are Options

Contrary to most of the opinions posted here, there are options.  However, it is not a difference in expense.  Tummy tucks can be performed with an epidural catheter.  I find that this significantly reduces post-operative pain and speeds recovery.  Breast lifts can be done with twilight anesthesia and local anesthetic.  Again, much quicker recovery and avoids the risk of general anesthesia.  However, if your surgeon does not know how to do the procedures with anything other than general anesthesia or does not feel comfortable with it, then it is unwise to ask for it.  At the end of the day, we need to do what is safe for you.  That may be different surgeon to surgeon.  But NEVER skimp on safety for price.  

Some unqualified doctors may offer surgery under local anesthesia because they are not working in a surgery center or hospital where it is available.  I perform surgeries in my office, but it is fully accredited by AAAASF and I have the ability to perform my surgeries in the hospital if needed.  Clearly, I believe that office based surgery is safe, but only when it's done right!

Talk to your surgeon, but know that you DO have options.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia for Mommy Makeover

You will require some sort of general anesthesia. The type chosen by your anesthesiologist will depend on preferences and safest option for you. Discuss this with your surgeon and ask to speak to anesthesiologist BEFORE you surgery. Good luck

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

General anesthesia is almost used for mommy makeover surgery.

General anesthesia is almost always used for the combination of operations called a mommy makeover. It's very safe and is easiest on the patient.

Anesthesia for a mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

For a tummy tuck and breast lift you will need general anesthesia.
  • Sedation with local anesthesia is not a good choice because of the risk you will not breathe adequately; the amount of local anesthetic used would be too high to be safe and muscle relaxation is not possible.
  • Some surgeons use spinal and epidural anesthetics for tummy tucks but they are not appropriate for breast surgery - the level of anesthetic would be high in the spinal column and you would not be able to breathe.
  • Some surgeons use a combination of heavy sedation + control of your airway with a mask to breathe for you. I have not seen safety information for this approach but it would be safer than sedation without airway control. .
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

I would suggest general anesthesia for this combined procedure. You will be asleep during the duration of the operation. I only operate with board certified anesthesiologists. 

Anesthesia question

For a mommy makeover type of procedure, the only real option of anesthesia is general anesthesia in which you would be fully asleep.  There are a number of different anesthetic agents which can be utilized for general anesthesia.  Each has its relative advantages and disadvantages.  The cost of anesthesia usually does not vary based on the anesthetic agent.  Check with your anesthesiologist as to which agents they intend to use in your case and why.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

General Anesthesia

The only way I would do this surgery is under general anesthesia in an hospital outpatient environment.   It is the safest way and most comfortable. I also require my patients stay in the extended care, also called 23 hour stay.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

General Anesthesia

My recommendation is to have general anesthesia. This means that you will be totally asleep during your procedure with a breathing tube in to protect your airway. The cost in Las Vegas typically runs $350-$400 per hour for anesthesia. Again, I would discourage any attempt at undergoing these procedures without general anesthesia.

- Dr. Bryson Richards