I'm a 21 year old male & I've been diagnosed with chronic telogen effluvium. Hair loss is noticeable. Should I start minoxidil?

I've noticed hair loss starting about two years ago following a few significant emotional crises. The hair loss began to be noticable 3 months later. The main cause is still present and the hair loss is worse (more niticable now than a year ago). My derm thought it was mpb at first but then checked the symptoms and saw general thinning all over and said it was chronic te. She said minox was a last resort but should i start it until i can remove the trigger? Will it help me regrow everything?

Thanks for your query. You should start with minoxidil and finasteride . It will regain your hair & stop further loss of hair as well. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone, follicular unit (FUE) hair transplantation/ARTAS

You are young for CTE. Regardless, spironolactone and progesterone can help regrow hair. Other options may also help: follicular unit hair transplantation is one option. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

CTE IN 21 YO MALE: ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS NJ

In my opinion, chronic telogen efflivium is not common in younger males. A scalp biopsy would be helpful in confirming the diagnosis. Minoxidil, qilib, viviscal and low level laser may help.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

TE vs Genetic hair loss

Did you have your hair mapped for miniaturization?  This is a critical diagnostic step to differentiate TE from Genetic hair loss

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

CTE in 21 year old male

Without seeing your scalp it's hard to say. But CTE is very rare in a 21 year old male. Ongoing acute telogen effluvium, shedding from patterned or diffuse male balding are much more likely than CTE in a 21 year old male. It is unlikely it will help regrow  everything. But you may see an improvement with minoxidil