Replace or keep current implants? (Photo)

Saline implants over the muscle in 1997. Now need lift. My current breasts/implants are very soft. There is minimal visible and palpable ripples on the medial portions of each breast. I want to eliminate the feel and visual evidence of my implants and restore the breasts to a more youthful appearance. Should I have just a lift, a lift with fat transplants in medial areas or a lift with new silicone implants. I am thin, bmi 19 and want my current size or smaller resulting breast w/ min scaring

19 year old saline implants. Lift with change of implants?

Thanks for your question.  Your photos aren't enough to give a final recommendation however I would definitely be considering a change to silicone implants combined with a Benelli lift to raise your nipple position.  Going to a similar or smaller silicone implant should significantly reduce rippling or waviness and although I prefer subpectoral positioning for my augmentation patients, I don't see the need for a more extensive procedure in your case just to change the implant position.  This assumes that you have remained soft for 19 years and are likely to remain soft with new implants.  Discuss all options with your surgeon but IMO I would strongly recommend that you remove these old saline implants and replace with new implants.  Good luck and best wishes. Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca 

Changing breast implants

Dear apexbbq,
Your now 20 year old breast augmentation has aged well.  Your options are many.  As you probably know, all breast implants have a life span.  Yours are near the end of their life span and should be exchanged.  Other options for saline versus silicone, type of breast lift procedure, and under or over muscle are best discussed with an American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified plastic surgeon in a personal consultation.  Good luck!

Keep or replace implants

Thank you for your question.  You really have a few options.  You can keep your implants in their current location and your breasts can be lifted.  Your breasts can be lifted and your implants can simply be changed given their age.  If you choose to replace your implants, options include saline or silicone and round or anatomically shaped as well as the option of keeping your implants above the muscle or changing to a submuscular pocket.  I would have recommended that your implants be placed under the muscle during the original procedure in order to give you the most natural, long-lasting result with a decreased risk of capsular contracture and sagging over time.  I suggest you consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons experienced with these types of procedures to further discuss your options.  Hope this helps!

Replace or Keep Current Implants

The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.
In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result. There are a variety of techniques for a #BreastLift. I prefer to use the short scar technique, “#lollipop scar” or “#donut lift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring. Although the “anchor-shape” or inverted “T” incision is still more popular in the United States, it represents an older technique with extensive #scarring and a less optimal result in many cases.
Additionally, scar therapy with #scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) is recommended for the best scar and can be started a few weeks following your surgery.
Concerns pertaining to your personal #healing should always be discussed with your surgeon. Saline tends to be a little less natural feeling than silicone, but it can also create a more dramatic upper breast appearance, which some women prefer. A new saline breast implants option called Ideal Implant™ was recently FDA approved and is now being offered here at the Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery Newport Beach. The #IdealImplant was created for women who are not comfortable having silicone implants in their body, but desire a more natural feeling implant than traditional saline implants on the market. The unique structure of the Ideal Implant allows for a similar look and feel as silicone with the safety of saline.

Implant and lift

You might want to consider implants placed under the muscle to better camouflage the implants.  Best to be evaluated in person.