Could internal sutures from a TT be causing a pulling discomfort 2 yrs after surgery?

Due to being fairly "tight", the surgeon made a vertical external incision, which is exactly where the internal pulling sensation is. That area has remained very hard, and it feels like something sitting hard on my intestines there, and everything feels very tight. An abd. CAT scan, abd. & pelvic ultrasounds showed nothing except a lot of gas. This has caused significant discomfort every day since surgery, some days worse than others.

Pulling

The pulling may be from the vertical scar tissue.   You would have to be seen infernos to be properly evaluated.

Pulling

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Painful Post Op Scar

I would advise you to go back to your original surgeon to be examined in person. Bring all of your test results. It is possible that what you are experiencing is due to scar tissue and may need further surgery to fix, but this is only a guess.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Painful Post Op Scar

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

The external skin being tight and requiring a vertical incision may create some external thickening of the skin scar, but won't have any effect that would cause a deep pulling sensation. The same goes for the muscle plication. All of these sutures are placed on the outside of the abdominal wall and the abdomen isn't entered. If you have had previous abdominal surgery or a C-section, you could have some internal scarring from these procedures causing adhesions. Your best bet may be to consult with a general surgeon.

Discomfort 2 years after vertical tummy tuck

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• I am sorry this has happened to you.
  • It sounds as though the problem may be the scar itself - either it is adhering to the muscle or it has shortened and causing you pain.
  • I suggest you see your plastic surgeon to discuss whether a scar revision, steroid injections or even placing fat or a protective layer of ADM might be helpful.
  • If however, you were sutured so tightly that it is actually causing the gas seen on the studies, then it is possible that a revision of the muscle repair might be needed.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

• I am sorry this has happened to you.

It is always best to ask these questions of your chosen surgeon as recommendations may be different.  I would advise you to go back to your original surgeon to be examined.

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your pulling discomfort.  After two years I would be more concerned about the possibility of scar tethering causing your symptoms over a suture as many sutures used for muscle repair are absorbable.  A tethered scar can be treated and involves a surgery to release the tissue and reapproximate the underlying adipose layer to prevent recurrence.  Hope this helps.

Internal sutures pulling at two years after tummy tuck?

It is more likely that scar tissue is contributing to your tightness and discomfort than internal sutures.  Sometimes, a scar revision with release of this scar tissue will improve your symptoms.  At that time the internal suturing can also be assessed.  Good luck.

Scar tissue?

Thanks for this important question. There certainly could be some scar tissue under the vertical part of your tummy tuck scar that could be contributing to these symptoms. Another possibility, which is less likely, is a neuroma or entrapped nerve. You should be examined by your plastic surgeon for a full assessment and consider some of the treatments already outlined by Dr. Morgan. Perhaps seeing a GI specialist might be a good idea if your discomfort is also associated with bowel symptoms. 

Dr. ALDO

Scar tissue?

Dr. ALDO