Should a tooth with a gum depth of 9 be removed?

My dentist is having a hard time sitting a new crown on a tooth which has a gum depth of 9. He has suggested removing the tooth, is this a reasonable thing to do?

9 mm reading and considering options...#DrSoftTouch

A 9 mm reading around any tooth is not good, but many factors should be considered before removing the tooth. If the tooth has a long root with a good amount of bone support and is not mobile, it's possible that the tooth could be saved. I would recommend discussing the pros and cons of each option with your dentist before investing in a crown. I hope this helps! Click save on the save button below my name, so that you may ask me more questions in the future.

Deep Pocket

The answer depends on a number of factors:

Which tooth is it?

What teeth are around it?

What teeth oppose it?

What are you willing to do to save it?

In general, 9 mm is deep and not ideal but all factors should be considered before condemning the tooth. I hope this helps!

9 mm probing depth

A probing of 9 mm around any tooth is not a good scenario.  At that depth there are aggressive bacteria that further cause continued breakdown of the bone and gum tissue.  If the tooth has an extremely long root with a good amount of bone surrounding the root and no mobility there might be a chance you save the tooth with pocket reduction surgery, but this is rare.  If the bone and probing depths around the other areas of the tooth are healthy but there is one isolated 9 mm pocket, a fracture should've be suspected and most likely require the removal of the tooth. 

Regardless, the tooth is compromised, and you need to decide if you would rather invest in a long term treatment option or if you are okay with short term treatment goals with the understanding that future additional treatment would be needed.  

David M. Schertzer, DDS
Saint Louis Dentist