Burning sensation after mastopexy and augmentation. Any suggestions?

I am 2 days post op and I have an excruciating burning sensation in my left breast this morning. Is this normal? This breast is a lot more swollen which was noticed straight after surgery. I just want to be reassured as I'm scared!! Please help, thanks x

Healing

Healing after plastic surgery is a process and the earlier parts are the most challenging. Emotions are a big part of the process as well. Best is to discuss specifically with the operating surgeon so that he /she can take a look. Our patient i Book has a lot of basic information as well.

Breast augmentation post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Burning sensation is normal swelling is not

You can not be reassured without a medical check up. Increased swelling could represent bleeding. That requires surgery.  You need to see your doctor instead of seeking reassurance on internet.
Burning sensations are however normal and not of concern at this time.

Vasdev Rai, MD

There are numerous nerve sensations that may occur after augmentation and/or mastopexy.  Most of these are due to stretching and sometimes entrapment of one or more of the sensory nerves in the breast. These sensations usually go away with time but in the meantime the annoying feelings can be reduced by using icepacks and sometimes gabapentin which slows down nerve conduction.  Rest assured that it will not be permanent.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Pain post breast surgery

This is normal and I Would take your pain pills and also very helpful are ice compresses as well.This will go in time.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Burning sensation after mastopexy/aug

It sounds like you are experiencing nerve pain which is not unusual after any surgery.  The nerve endings are "waking up" and you can have burning, itching that you can't scratch or a zap-like sensation.  It does go away eventually, you can talk to your PS and possibly get a prescription to aleviate the pain.

Chad Robbins, MD

Speak to your plastic surgeon

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you should speak to your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns. This is important because every surgeon has different perspectives, the only one that should be important is the one that operated on you ;)

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

I appreciate your question.
Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Burning sensation

Thank you for your question.  At two days post-op, pain and discomfort is not uncommon.  I recommend contacting your surgeon to discuss how you can best manage the pain.  

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Post op asymmetrical pain is normal, but given the fact that the breast is more swollen today, I think it would be a good idea to make an appointment to see your doctor just to make sure that there's nothing more serious going on. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD