Can a torn vaginal septum be reattached?

I have a vaginal septum & it tore during sex. Went to urgent care to be put back together, was told it'd heal back together on its own. It didn't. It's a BIG part of my personal identity, I don't want any more children than I already have, & I don't want it removed. I just want it to be reattached so that I can be MY normal self again. It's a longitudinal septum & it tore at the back wall (if my bits were a clock, it would be 6). Is reattachment possible and how would the surgery be performed?

Thank you for your post and I think I speak for most of us when I say this is a first for me.  Most patients with a septum want it removed for functional reasons not placed back.   

Repairing and reattaching the septum in itself can be tricky and would require a detailed evaluation prior to even making a decision on whether it is possible to repair.  The problem lies in once it is repaired and healed.  The chances of it tearing after sexual intercourse will be high and I am sure disappointing to you.

I would suggest finding a reconstructive vaginal surgeon and really weighing in the risks and down sides to repairing it prior to undergoing a surgical procedure.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Reconstructive vaginal surgery for torn vaginal septum is possible, however...

No one can really make a valid comment about your injury without seeing it. Any tissue that is reconstructed is dependent upon the quality of the tissues for the success of any repair. You would need to come in for a consultation. The surgery would be performed through the vagina obviously and under your choice of local anesthesia awake or IV sedation asleep, but the specifics of any proposed repair would depend upon the nature of the damage. The underlying concern isn't the ability to repair the damage, but rather to prevent it from happen again afterwards. If sex caused this to happen, sex may cause it to happen again especially because scar tissue is frequently weaker than the original tissue. Don't waste your time consulting plastic surgeons for this as they are not trained in intravaginal surgery and there is a very real risk of rectal injury when surgeons untrained in intravaginal surgery attempt to do so. Feel free to contact me privately. You're not that far away.

Dear Doublev,

Thank you for writing in with your question.  I have not heard of anyone wanting to have a vaginal septum reattached since for most it interferes with sexual function but I do understand your sense of self being connected to your anatomy.  However, I would caution you that since the septum did tear with sexual intercourse, it is likely to happen again.  Seek the advice of a gyn pelvic reconstructive surgeon not a plastic surgeon, who is less familiar with vaginal anatomy and problems.  If you are truly distressed about the torn septum, you may want to talk with a therapist who addresses body image concerns to help you work this through, especially if the end choice is not to repair it.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Can my torn vagina /vaginal septum be reattached?

This is an interesting question.  A vaginal septum that you describe is something that some women are born with.  Typically it is removed if it causes problems.  But if it is important to you then reattachment would be technically straightforward.  Certainly it could tear again.

Two other issues: what you describe as a vaginal septum may be something else - so surgical evaluation by a urogynecologist/gynecologist is necessary.

It this is a vaginal septum it is considered an embyological/congenital variant.  If this is present you should be evaluated for other congenital issues involving your uterus and cervix.  Less likely would be an issue involving your urinary tract but that should be considered. 

No - vaginal septum should not be reattached, unless...

Interesting question. Most vaginal septums interfere with sex and need removed to allow for penetration. Per your post you've have no difficulties with sex and in fact have had children, vaginally, I assume. I understand the value of retaining your personal and intimate identity, but if it tore during sex, then any reattachment will tear again.

I don't recommend reattachment, unless you're ok with it tearing the next time you have sex.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Without examining you or seeing photos its difficult to give specific advice but it may be possible depending on the severity of the injury. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you to see what your options are. Best of luck!  

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC