I am 3 1/2 weeks post op tummy tuck Is this an open tummy or just something that will heal with dressings and time? (photos)

I been taking it easy for the past 3 1/2 weeks but did more yesterday than usual and noticed my wound was kinda hurting I changed my dressing and found the wound was open

Mild flap necrosis

You have a mildly ischemia abdominal flap. You should see your surgeon to follow it. This can happen with tight closures, aggressive liposuction during the procedure, or rarely with infection. Your surgeon will be the best to advise you on wound care to allow it to heal. It should not impact your long term result.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck - is my wound open?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • Your photo suggests that you may have a small collection of blood under the skin.
  • I suggest you contact your surgeon to have this checked.
  • Even if the area has opened, it is likely to heal with dressings and time.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy tuck

In the photo it does not appear to be "open" however, there is a lot of tension at those incision points. To be safe, you should see your surgeon to have them address your concerns. Best wishes!

Ask your surgeon for wound care instructions

but what you have is very common and almost expected with anchor incisions.  It will heal and you should be seeing your surgeon more often for follow-ups.

Curtis Wong, MD