What can be done to make my long, drooping nose more aesthetically symmetrical and shorter? (Photo)

Hello. I have a distinctly long and over projecting nose, especially when I smile. I don't like how it droops over and down even when I have a resting face. When I press on my nose tip, there is so much excess skin that hangs before I hit my actual cartilage. Can this be easily removed? Also I feel like my nose is very wide. What can be done to improve my profile and droopy nose tip? What non surgical and surgical options do I have?

Ethnic Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear acast1331, You are an excellent candidate for ethnic rhinoplasty surgery. Your concerns with your profile are very common and can be corrected with rhinoplasty surgery. I would not suggest any non surgical alternatives. I would however suggest that you seek consultation with some experts in the field of ethnic rhinoplasty. During your consultation you can have imaging performed which will show you the possibilities of surgery and show you your proposed result taking into consideration your desires and your nasal anatomy. You will also have a chance to review your surgeons before and after photographs to ensure that he/she provides natural looking results that will balance your profile and overall facial aesthetics. Once these steps have been performed the surgeon will discuss in detail the exact techniques that will be used to attain your agreed upon desired result. See some examples in my ethnic rhinoplasty link below and and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. Based on the photographs you have posted and your cosmetic goals, I believe you would benefit from a hump reduction and tip rhinoplasty. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip, correct the droopy appearance and make it look more pleasing. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Yes, your nose can be shortened

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

I elevated the tip of your nose, and straightened out the bump on the bridge of the nose.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

There are no non-surgical options for your nose. Injecting filler material cannot cause the tip to come up. Filler always makes a nose look larger, and it seems to me that you are looking to make your nose smaller!

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

What can be done to make my long, drooping nose more aesthetically symmetrical and shorter?

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Closed Scarless Rhinoplasty is the major key!

Closed Scarless Rhinoplasty is the major key. From this approach your surgeon can pick up the tip of the nose, and reduce the length of the nose to make the nose fit your face so much better. He could also decrease the amount the nose turns down when you smile also.

This would be a subtle finesse surgery that should be done with NO External cuts or scars.  This is a standard operation for closed scarless rhinoplasty.

Consult with a surgeon who has 100% of his surgical practice dedicated to scarless rhinoplasty. 

All the best!

Deepak Raj Dugar, MD

Rhinoplasty consideration

Rhinoplasty is architecture not art.  Good structural support is critical to a good outcome. The result will depend greatly upon the thickness of your skin.  thicker skin requires additional support and while the shape can be controlled some of the nuances of a good aesthetic result can be difficult to achieve. The Rhinoplasty Society can help you find qualified rhinoplasty specialists in your vicinity

R. Laurence Berkowitz, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

I have reviewed your photos.  Your nose can be shortened, elevated, set back and straightened.  From your pictures, I don't think it is too wide.  All of this can be done by contouring the bone and cartilage.  If necessary, cartilage grafts can be used to keep the nasal tip elevated.

Fred Suess, MD (retired)

Rhinoplasty

Like many of the answers below, I believe that you are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty. The most important thing for you to do is to find a plastic surgeon who does a lot of rhinoplasties and one that you like his or her art. Look at several websites and see if you find a nose similar to yours and critically look at the outcome. Is the result something you would be happy with? There are many qualified rhinopasty surgeons, but their aesthetic ideals might not match yours. Best of luck to you.

Paul E. Chasan, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a Beautiful Nose

You are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty procedure to give you a more beautiful nose that will bring out your facial features (eyes, lips, cheeks, etc).  I do not believe that non-surgical options would help you achieve all of your goals like elevating your tip and making it more refined.  A rhinoplasty procedure would correct this - downtime is one week and it is not as painful as you may think.  

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Surgical rhinoplasty candidate

From the photographs presented, there is a bony and cartilaginous and dorsal hump present  which can be shaved down with a closed rhinoplasty approach.  The nasal tip can be narrowed, lifted and refined as well which accomplishes shortening the nose.  To prevent the tip from  drooping when smiling requires releasing of the depressor septi ligament.  The nasal bridge line can be straightened and narrowed with osteotomies.  For more information, and many before and after results of rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below