What is the best course for me? Surgery or butt kicking exercise and diet?

I'm 25. Female. No health issues other than mild hypothyroidism. 272 pounds. My arms & thighs are large but my stomach is massive in proportion to everywhere else with a large overhang. It's 4 inches worth of overhang and it's my biggest problem. I feel if I could just lose my tummy, the motivation to diet and exercise would come so much stronger than now. I've cut sugar and eat minimal carbs with lots of protein and salad. And cardio everyday. But it's so hard to stay motivated

Panniculectomy possible

Nice job on exercising and eating right! If the hanging skin/fat is a concern for you, this apron of fat can be removed with a procedure called a panniculectomy.  However, you should know that only the skin/fat hanging over your waist would be removed, and nothing else would be treated. This might motivate you to maintain your healthy lifestyle. In the meantime, you may want to include strength training in your exercise regimen as well, or better yet, hire a personal trainer who can keep you on track. 

If you consider surgery, make sure you find the right surgeon

Far more important than deciding if TT is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Panniculectomy ( Half a Tummy Tuck) might be your best option......

There is no doubt, weight loss is the best thing for you!  Always do as much as you can on your own!  Butt Kicking Exercise all the way!!!          But!   If your abdominal roll is getting in your way, there is a quick and relatively easy procedure which can remove this excess skin and make it easier to exercise as well as boost your self confidence! It is called a Panniculectomy!   it is kind of, half a tummy tuck.     It is much quicker and safer than undergoing a full tummy tuck.   It is still surgery, but nowhere near as involved, painful or risky as a tummy tuck for someone at your weight.   Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for more information.  

Tummy tuck

Dear Fatima,

It would have been helpful to know your height , in order to calculate your BMI. In any event, it is quite clear that you will need assistance in your battle for  losing weight.

As a first step,  I provide the book "sugar busters" to my over weight patients . It is not a diet book, but rather a life style change, which is based on low glycemic index food intake. It is a long process and requires strong discipline.

Gastric bypass ,  gastric sleeve or gastric  band are good options if you qualify for insurance coverage.

Last but not least is tummy tuck which is one of the best investment in yourself. It will increase your self esteem, sense of femininity and will make shopping fun... The procedure will give you flat stomach, tight and youthful skin, nice belly button, improved body posture and will help you to lose weight due to the abdominal muscles tightening that will reduce the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger.

Not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely , to avoid bad result and need for corrective surgery. 

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery , to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive.

Dr Widder

What comes first weight loss or surgery

good question, but a third option also comes to mind: endoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Butt kicking excersize and diets don't work, I should know I had a sleeve, so get your weight under control first my dear, then see a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Ayman Hakki, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty questions

I hear you!  It is very difficult!  You can seek help with a medical supervised weight loss plan and consider doing a group program like Weight Watchers (no conflict, no financial interest).  Please do this for your health.  You will not regret it.  Then you will have earned amazing health and an amazing body because your abdominoplasty will look so much better without that additional weight!  Good luck!

Saira Saini, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Healthy weight

If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. You would need to be down to a healthy weight and BMI before having a cosmetic procedure to insure a safe outcome. Also, being at a stable weight is key to ensure you don't gain weight back after surgery. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes. Vistnes Plastic Surgery San Fancisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #mommymakeover #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgery versus diet and weight loss

It is hard to stay motivated when you need to lose so much weight. However it needs to be done prior to the plastic surgery. If you can lose 70-80 pounds then surgery is much less risky. Bariatric surgery has a great success rate. I would look into this, as well as a medically supervised weight loss program. This can yield amazing results

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Surgery vs. diet and exercise

Hello!

It is always true that non-surgical means should be tried before surgery. Diet and exercise under the supervision of a well established program would be great for your weight and your long term health. Surgical weight loss is done quite commonly and is typically covered under insurance due to its well established success and safety, so it might be worth investigating that as well. Once you have reached your goals with weight loss, plastic surgery might be worth checking into, although you might not need it at all. Surgery at your current weight does carry increased risk, particularly with wound healing.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Diet and exercise

If you can do it by diet and exercise, then I would go that route first. Best of luck, it will be well worth it if you lose the weight!