Specific questions to ask? (Photo)

39 y/o female, weight 153, have had a 130 pound weight loss from gastric sleeve in 2012 and my body is simply embarrassing and depressing. I need a 360 tummy tuck with muscle repair, arm lift, thigh lift and breast lift with small implants (not all done at once)... What are some things I should ask a potential plastics doctor?

Specific questions to ask?

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. There will be lots of information that will need to be transmitted during the consultation process. My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she has a significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You will find a lot of information on the Realself website as well as on the attached link (dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss). Best wishes.

Last contacted 6 hours ago

Mommy Makeover After Massive Weight Loss

Congratulations on your weight loss success! It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity.  Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Last contacted 15 hours ago

Board Certified

I would advise you to look for a board certified plastic surgeon (link below) who has had significant experience with post bariatric weight loss patients. Then, make sure that you fully understand what can be achieved and the potential trade offs -- i.e. scarring so that you're expectations are realistic. Best and congratulations on your weight loss. Amazing achievement -- Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Last contacted 12 hours ago

Specific questions to ask?

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Body contouring surgery will be the next stage of your journey.  Visit various websites to view before and after photos and be sure to seek a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with elite credentials and experience with body contouring after massive weight loss.  Ask to see before and after photos of their work and if you could speak to a patient advocate who has had the same procedures. Best of luck!

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Last contacted 2 days ago

Specific questions to ask

Thank you for submitting your question. Congradulations on your weight loss.  Select your surgeon by reputation and other people referrals. Look at his credentials. Select a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Make sure you feel very comfortable with your surgeon and see a lot of before and after photos. Request to contact a patient that had the same surgery. Best Wishes

Jeff Angobaldo, MD

Last contacted 10 hours ago

Massive weight loss, planning reconstruction

Thank you for asking about your body make over.

• Congratulations on your weight loss! 
  • I assume your weight is stable -
  • Your surgical plan will serve you very well.
  • Ask the surgeons you consult if they routinely do post-bariatric surgery, discuss the hospital, the risks and recovery and what they think is a reasonable plan.
  • You seem likely to need a lower body lift (360 tummy tuck) and a reverse 'tummy' tuck to remove the upper excess skin. It might be possible to do this with the body lift as a first procedure.
  • Good planning and good post-operative care is essential to a good outcome with these procedures - so give preference to the surgeon or surgeons who discuss this with you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Last contacted 16 hours ago

Specific questions to ask?

Hi... thank you for the question.... and photos... yes you qualify for these procedure i suggest my patients to do first:
  1. 360 Tummy tuck or Flowr the Liz treatment, combined with breast treatment
  2. scond: Arm, Lift with hight lift and back lift

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Last contacted 9 hours ago

Specific questions to ask?

Your Plastic Surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Ask him if he has done body lifting surgery before and ask to see 'before and after' examples of his work. This can be a life changing procedure and I would strongly recommend it. Start with the abdominoplasty and lower body lift. Good luck!

Laurence Kirwan, MD, FRCS, FACS
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 1 year ago

Body lift

First of all congratulations! I know it may be depressing now but you're on the right path!First set of questions is about safety, remember safety first! So I would ask him what are the potential complications and what do you do to avoid these. You should get a detailed answer on everything from anabiotic's to preventing  blood clots. Second you're going to want to know about results. I would ask to see pictures and a clear understanding of what the goals are and what you think the final outcome should be.It's a bit of a process but it is worth it!Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 20 hours ago

Specific questions to ask?

If you have had a gastric sleeve with significant weight loss, you should first check with your primary care doctor and/or surgeon who performed your gastric surgery as to when and if you could consider the surgery.  Check to make certain your plastic surgeon is board certified and has extensive experience with post bariatric surgery patients.  Ask to see before and after photos of similar patients and make sure you have discussed the risks of your procedure and the necessary care both before and after your surgery.  Be certain to follow your surgeon instructions.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 2 days ago