Is there a specific order when combining procedures to adhere to? I'm looking to have TT, BA, lipo of various spots (Photo)

37 y/o mom of two looking to knock a decade off my appearance. My wish is to have the smallest waist I can obtain along with lipo of inner thighs. Back, arms and arm pit area. Family has slight risk for breast cancer, one maternal aunt had double mastectomy. Would love some volume to my breast but not at the risk of my health. Any suggestions for breast improvement? I had 1st child at age 20 and second child at 35. My stretch marks have had me cover up my body since 2000. I'm 5'9" and 194lbs.

No universal order for mommy makeover procedures

Thank you for your question Lola. There is not necessarily a standard order in which to do all mommy makeover procedures. For each patient, depending on the specific procedures indicated, it may be beneficial to perform those procedures in a particular order. It also is often advantageous to combine certain procedures under one anesthesia. For the surgeries in which you expressed interest, surgeons may recommend a variety of different combinations.  My preference would usually be to perform the abdominoplasty and breast augmentation together, followed later by liposuction of all areas. Consult with an experienced ABPS certified plastic surgeon for a complete evaluation and recommendation for the best treatment plan to meet your needs. 

Good luck!

Dr. Polo

Best plans for a mommy makeover.

Thank you for your photos.  You appear to be in good shape.  Obtaining the smallest waist possible would be achieved by liposuction and a tummy tuck.  What type of tummy tuck could only be determined after an examination.  Liposuction of your other areas of concern could easily be done at the same time.  The best option to rejuvenate your breasts could only be determined after an examination.  That said, a breast lift or augmentation could be included with your liposuction.  Neither a lift nor augmentation would increase your risk of breast cancer, but it may be best to have a mammogram prior to the procedure as a base line.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a detailed consultation.  Best wishes.

Great question

Your question is excellent. Because the breast size desired is very much linked to balancing your body, your need for a larger breast size will be less if you have a tighter torso. Therefore, I usually suggest that the abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) be done first. Hope this helps.

Leland Deane MD FACS

Babylon and Garden City

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  Mommy makeovers involve various combinations of proceudres to improve the breasts, abdomen, hips, back, arms, legs, buttocks, etc after childbirth.  Combination procedures are safe and very effective in the right hands.  The surgeon HAS to be an expert in EACH procedure and must have a lot of experience in performing combination procedures and can minimize the operative time.  For your breasts, the most common procedure performed after childbirth is the breast lift with or without implants. Combination procedures can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Mommy Makeover

All of the procedures you asked about (breast augmentation, tummy tuck, liposuction) can be safely combined during one operation. It is best to consult with a local plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and to get an in-person exam. From your photos you look to be a good candidate for those procedures and would have a nice result. However, this can only be determined by your surgeon after a consultation. In regards to your breast surgery - breast augmentation with implants or breast augmentation with a lift can be done safely without affecting your risk of breast cancer. Based on your age and family history your surgeon may ask for a preoperative mammogram. Best of luck! 

Regards,

Surjit S. Rai, MD

Surjit S. Rai, MD
Dallas Physician

Which procedure to do when?

Far more important than deciding if MM is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Is there a specific order when combining procedures to adhere to? I'm looking to have TT, BA, lipo of various spots

Combination surgical procedures are done on a routine basis. However, it is best to evaluate each patient on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance. Factors such as selection of plastic surgeon, exact procedures planned, estimated blood loss, duration of surgery, recovery considerations, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility are all important considerations.

For the procedures you want, there is not necessarily an order that would yield a better result than the other.  

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In this regard, I'm totally agree with you, therefore i recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Order for surgery

Hi,

The order can be determined by your priority. I would recommend doing what is most important to you first. However, a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon will help you plan the appropriate approach. Good luck!

Janet Turkle, MD