I have Poland syndrome on left side of chest. I've developed mild gyno on the right side of my chest

Is it possible that the majority of estrogen in my body has attached itself to the normal side of my chest causing gyno? I have no pect muscle at all on my left side.

Male Breast Asymmetry

Breast #asymmetry is the condition when both breasts are not equal in size. In men, gynecomastia can include only one or both breasts. #Unilateral gynecomastia occurs when only one breast is larger due to gynecomastia, while the other breast is typically normal in both size and shape. #Bilateral asymmetry occurs when gynecomastia is present in both breasts, although each to a different degree. The amount of glandular tissue can affect the size, shape, and location on the chest wall of the enlarged area, the size of the areolas, and protrusion and diameter of the nipples.

Unequal or unilateral gynecomastia is not an uncommon condition. It is more significant when there are very noticeable differences between the two breasts. Usually, the degree of difference between the two breasts is not severe. Through a study of his patients, however, more than 80% of male breasts are not symmetrical, but the severity varies greatly from patient to patient. Patients should take this into consideration while examining their chests prior to surgery.

In addition to correcting the difference between breast sizes, the #areola often shrinks when #gynecomastia excision is performed. In more pronounced cases, the areola may even be larger. When the glandular tissue is removed, the areola #symmetry may improve.
The conditions that make up #asymmetry can often be corrected to some degree. It is very individual and varies for each patient. Every prospective surgical candidate should discuss this condition with an experienced plastic surgeon prior to surgery. The plastic surgeon’s role is to educate each individual patient as to the possible degree of improvement that can be realistically achieved in his particular case.

Male Breast Asymmetry

With less breast tissue on the side affected by the Poland syndrome, if you are developing gynecomastia (which it sounds like you may be) it would only affect the opposite side.

Poland syndrom and gynecomastia

Poland syndrome can exist with  gynecomastia in the opposite side.I had patients with your condition.You need to be evaluated by a gynecomastia surgeon with experience. 

Mordcai Blau, MD

Poland Syndrome and gynecomastia

Only the breast gland is estrogen responsive.

Also, there are other agents(besides estrogens) that can cause glandular enlargement.

You are correct that the pectoralis major muscle and probably some subcutaneous fat as well  is missing.

Both these elements can dramatially effect the look of the male chest wall contour.

Hope this helps

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS