How Close to Goal Should I Be for a Mommy Makeover? (photo)

I know from reading on this site that it can vary, so I'm hoping to get a more personal answer here. I am a 32 year old mother of 4 (4 big babies in 5 1/2 years!), I am 5'3", and have maintained at 138-140 for the last year after losing 25 pounds postpartum. I'm a little bit unmotivated to work hard to get toned because I have so much flabby skin that would cover those results anyway. I am about a year out from being ready for my surgery, and I would eventually like to be around 125-129.

Mommy makeover

Watching your pics and i can realize now is the perfect time for having your mommy makeover done, so you don't need losing additional pounds. You are ready for having surgery! 

Ideal Weight for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Be within 10% of your goal...

Weight gain often accompanies the changes that occur following pregnancy.  It’s therefore not uncommon for women who want a mommy makeover to be overweight at their initial presentation.  There’s no question that being close to your ideal body weight improves the results from mommy makeover surgery.  It also decreases the potential for complications with this type of surgical procedure.  For these reasons, we prefer that patients be within 10% of their ideal body weight at the time of surgery.

Unfortunately reaching an ideal body weight is easier said than done.  The vast majority of patients are unsuccessful at losing this additional weight.  It’s also important to realize that even when patients are overweight, they can potentially benefit from mommy makeover surgery.  We therefore evaluate every patient on an individual basis.

We encourage patients to lose weight before surgery and prefer that their weight be stable for at least three months.  We realize that some patients will have difficulty losing weight.  We therefore encourage patients to be in a supervised weight loss program.  Even with that help, some patients will be unsuccessful in their effort to lose weight.  Even without weight loss, these patients will still potentially benefit from mommy makeover surgery.

It’s important to realize that weight loss following surgery can affect the final result.  This could even result in the need for revisional surgery.  For these reasons, it’s important to thoroughly discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.

Shoot for Withing 10-15 lbs of your Goal Weight Before Body Contouring Surgery

You have done a great job and you look ready for a tummy tuck.  Just keep in mind that you want to be within 10, maybe15 lbs of your goal weight before surgery because if you lose a lot of weight after surgery you may end up with new sagging skin.  But you also don't want to go on a crash diet before surgery just to get close to your goal.  Be at a realistic, stable weight for at least 6 months.  You don't want to lose a bunch of weight before surgery you will just gain back. Protect your investment by being realistic!

J. Dayne Petersen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

What weight is best before mommy makeover

Before undergoing extensive body contouring surgery, a mommy makeover, your weight should be stable for at least 6 months.  Also, if undergoing a tummy tuck, you will need to be finished with child bearing, REALLY FINISHED!

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Go for it!!

Based on your photos and your description, you could be all set to go for your mommy makeover.  First step:  visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to start learning more about your options.

Best wishes!
Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

You May Be Ready

If you are happy with your arms, legs, and your problem area is only abdomen and hips, then you may be ready! 

Judith M. Gurley, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Ideal weight for a mommy makeover

Good Afternoon!

In my practice, I tell patients that I do not wish to perform a MM when they are well above their ideal weight, but I do not want to work on the m when they are at their lightest- no one ever maintains that. If you feel that you are within 10 lbs of the weight you feel in your heart you can realistically maintain, I say you are a good candidate for a MM.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

Goal weight before body contouring surgery

Congrats!  Overall, I tell my patients to split the difference when it comes to weight loss prior to most body contouring procedures.  Therefore, based upon your numbers, I would recommend about approximately 5 pounds more.  Based on your photos, I don't think there would be a substantial difference with the weight loss or not.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

In general, I usually recommend that patients be at a stable weight for 6-9 months before a makeover.  Significant weight changes after surgery can lead to poor aesthetic results.  Not everyone is made to be 125lbs.  You need to be comfortable at your weight and forsee being able to stay there.  It is important to have a consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon regarding your procedure.

Jarrod Little, MD