I have 200 cc subglandular silicone implants for 15 years. Last week I was tubing, hit a wave and landed back on the tube hard.

Since then, my chest has been sore along the upper pole of one breast. Could the implant have pushed up in the "pocket" and pulled tissue off the muscle wall? I do not have swelling or bruising, The painful area is from just under my arm across the top of the breast area. It doesn't hurt all the time, only when lift my arm or reach across the midline. It feels like muscle soreness after a heavy weight lifting session but has lasted a week. Thoughts?

Doctor Answers 8

Trauma with aged implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Its best to see your surgeon or some other plastic surgeon for an evaluation to see if intact.  Implant displacement can usually tell the examiner if the shell is intact or not and if questionable, you could have an ultrasound or MRI (but way more costly) to have radiographic proof.  You certainly could have a pulled muscle or contusion.  Only way to find out for sure is to see a plastic surgeon.

Breast implant trauma - pushed or fall

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing. You probably should start by seeing your PS who can examine you. You could need imaging like an MRI to evaluate your implants further. Best wishes!

Tubing injury

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  It is hard to assess pain over the internet, but it sound like the pec muscle may be whats causing your pain.  I recommend you see a plastic surgeon for a physical examination of the area and assessment of the implant which may include ultrasound or MRI.Best Wishes!

Trauma to breast implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
After a breast trauma, it is best to see a plastic surgeon to evaluate your breasts.
You may require an MRI to see if there is implant leakage.
At 15 years, many implants need a revision, so if there are issues about your breasts, that would be a good time to address that concern as well.

Brent Moelleken, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 188 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to say without an examination. The  fact that you have not suffered any bruising or swelling is a good sign.  You may want to consider an MRI to see if there is any damage to your implants.  I would also suggest you see a board certified plastic surgeon for an exam to make sure everything is okay.
Best of luck,
Dr. Hisham Seify

Best to get seen by a board certified plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello and thank you for your question.  Since your main complaint is soreness and you do not see any noticeable shape changes, you probably have a muscle bruise or possibly tore some of capsule/scar tissue -- this should hopefully get better over time.  Regardless, given the severity of your impact, it would be a good idea to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in aesthetic breast surgery to make sure that you and your implants are ok.  
Dr. Sean Kelishadi


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It would be best to be examined by a plastic surgeon to make sure your implants are doing well. You may have torn some scar tissue which will heal.

Pain after breast trauma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for your question.  It is difficult to comment accurately without an examination. The  fact that you have not suffered and bruising or swelling is a good sign. At 15 years however, your implants are likely more prone to rupture with significant trauma. It is probably a good idea to be seen by your plastic surgeon if you are having continuing pain.  An MRI would be able to determine if you have done any damage to your implant.  Best Regards.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.