I stopped wearing my compression garments aftre two days of my liposuction.

Hi, I had my liposuction in my thighs, stomach, arms and butt. I had it in 13 Oct, that's about ten days ago After two days of my surgery I couldn't complete wearing my compression garments. It was really tight in unnatural way. I couldn't even walk or just set normally wearing it so I took it off. After that I started wearing tight high waisted leggings with corset underneath it. Am I doing the right thing? Please don't tell me to ask my Surgeon because he is not really helping. Thanks

It sounds like your garment may have been poorly fitting or you swelled more than expected.  It should not fit the way you described IMO.  You will benefit from support in the treated areas and can use the leggings/corset or, many of my patients choose to wear Spanx leggings.  They should be compressive but not uncomfortably tight.  Hope that this helps.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Garment issue

Some surgeons recommend garments and others do not. Maybe your garment wasn't sized correctly?  Perhaps you need a looser fitting garment?

No compression garment but tight leggings and corset?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• I am sorry you had a problem with your compression garment.
  • The goal of the garment is to give you comfortable support.
  • If that is what you are getting from leggings and a corset, that is fine.
  • If you are sore and achy at the end of the day, you may need something snugger.
  • We do not think the garment changes your final result - but it does help you during the healing phase.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Compression Garments

If your compression garment is too tight ask your surgeon if you can go up to the next bigger size and see if you are more confortable.  The non-surgical garments may leave you with an "indent" from excessive pressure at a particular area that cause a long term deformity.

It is important that you get your instructions from your surgeons office rather than over the internet.  Usually if you approach things in an agreeable way, and are gently persistent you can find a solution that you are both content with. Call again and be ready to listen and be patient.  Both you and your surgeon are looking for the same goal, an excellent result.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon