Cellulite - Will Liposculpture Make It Worse?

I have had cellulite for the past seven years yet am not overweight (55kg, 165cm), eat well and live a healthy lifestyle. I have been considering tumescent liposculpture for thigh reshaping but have heard this may make my cellulite worse. I am extremely confused by the various conflicting professional and paraprofessional opinions I have received about this issue. What can I do, or what is the best option, to help reduce the cellulite in addition to liposculpture for reshaping my thighs?

How liposcupture or liposuction effects cellulite

Liposuction or liposculpture usually doesn't effect cellulite one way or another, provided it's not done too close to the skin's surface or on a patient with sagging or inelastic skin.  

Cellulite exists closer to the surface of the skin, and usually liposuction is done at a deeper level to effectively contour the body.  Surgeons experienced in liposculpture will avoid going too close to the skin's surface so as to avoid creating dents, ripples and other issues which can occur when a cannula gets too close to the skin's surface. 

A patients' skin elasticity is a factor as well.  If the skin is stretched out or inelastic (which a good surgeon will point out beforehand when discussing procedure risks), skin may be slightly looser after liposuction and therefore more prone to sagging or cellulite. 

-- Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction is performed to reduce subcutaneous fatty deposits that are disproportionately large and that are resistant to diet and exercise.  The overlying skin should be reasonable tight and elastic enough to "shrink" after the underlying fat is removed.  The skin dimpling or pitting that is seen with cellulite is not improved with liposuction.  Loose, cellulite-prone skin can often be made to look worse after liposuction if the liposuction is performed too aggressively or with poor technique.  Best of luck!

Paul Fortes, MD

Lipo affect cellulite?

Liposuction will not affect cellulite. Cellulite is caused by bands of tissue that attach to the understructure of your skin. The fat resides between these bands much like a honeycomb.

Treatment of cellulite and liposuction - Los Angeles

There is no reason why liposculpture would worsen cellulite.  There are reports of laser liposuction worsening the cellulite as it may cause inadvertent tightening of the fascial bands that produce cellulite. Stick with tumescent traditional liposuction. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Cellulite not helped by Liposculpture or liposuction

Cellulite is  not helped by Liposculpture or liposuction and in some cases can be made worse. Cellulaze is probably the most effective way at present to help with this vexing problem.

Careful body sculpting and use of a cellulite canula during the procedure can improve both your contour and cellulite.

In skilled hands it is possible to get good improvement in both the contour of your body and areas of cellulite.  There is also a new Cellulase Laser from Cynosure that may be of some help with the cellulite areas.  Cellulite fibrous bands can be treated with a special cannula as part of the liposuction procedure.   If the skin has good integrity, this can be quite effective. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction and Cellulite?

“Cellulite"  refers to irregularities that occurred on the surface of the skin. Liposuction will not cure cellulite; If well performed on a patient with elasticity and should not pick it worse either. Liposuction surgery is designed to   remove fat and improve contours.  Patients with severe cases of cellulite  will not benefit from liposuction surgery and may require skin excision (for example  tummy tuck or thigh lifting)  to achieve the desired results.

I tell all my patients that liposuction is not a “perfect science” and complications can occur even in the best of hands.

Liposculpture can make cellulite worse

Liposculpture can make cellulite worse. The bands under the skin that cause cellulite can be altered by the fat reduction or by changes to the bands themselves.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Liposculpture will not improve cellulite

Unfortunately, liposculpture does not improve the appearance of cellulite.  Cellulite may temporarily look better in the few weeks after liposculpture (probably due to swelling), but it returns a few weeks later.

It would seem that a technique that removes fat would improve cellulite because cellulite results from fat pushing out against skin that is being bound down by fibrous cords; however, there is no improvement in real world experience.

Lawrence Osman, MD