Opinion for revision? (photos)

Can I look normal with smooth silhouette & flat tummy?? I know I am not thin by any means but want to look NORMAL I'm 1 1/2 YEAR po from tummy tuck. At 1 month out I developed the seroma (photo). When I was finally able to get into PS a YEAR later he tried to drain the fluid with a needle and nothing came out. He sent me to a colleague for a 2nd opinion (in photos) Now wants to do in office revision under local. What do I do? I have lost all confidence in the PS that did the original surgery!

Tummy Tuck revisions are not uncommon

A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is an extensive procedure that consists of 3 main components:
  1. Skin removal
  2. Fat removal
  3. Muscle repair
With changes in women's fashions, the tummy tuck has evolved into a procedure that does not involve just the abdomen, but the flanks (muffin top) and the back (lumbar area).  Skin and fat removal is needed sometimes to prevent a "bunching" or "dog ear" on the hips.Based on the photographs, the hips have not been treated either with skin or fat removal.  There is a contour deformity of the incision line with asymmetry and there is excess fat and skin the mons pubis area.  I would recommend a secondary abdominoplasty with extensive liposuction of the entire abdomen, mons pubis, flank and lumbar area.  Skin and fat removal of the muffin top on both sides is needed and a revision of the entire initial tummy tuck scar. I would not undermine the previous flap or tighten the muscle, as this seems to have been performed adequately. This would need to be performed under a general anesthetic, but can be an outpatient procedure.
It is advisable to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs these types of procedures frequently to assure the best possible result.
Good Luck!

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Opinion for revision?

Thank you for your question and photographs and I am sorry that your surgical outcome has not been what you anticipated. I think that you will likely need a more extensive revision procedure, under general anesthesia, to obtain the best results.  I would extend your horizontal incision towards the sides and redo your tummy tuck procedure.  This will allow for removal of your excess skin from the front and sides of your abdomen while also excising the seroma and its cavity.  Liposuction can then be added to narrow your waist.  See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation. 

Tummy tuck revision

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • I am sorry you had a seroma and I understand why you aren't entirely happy with your tummy tuck.
  • Based on the photos, I think you need a revision with removal of excess skin and the internal scar where the seroma formed, with the incision extending along the sides. Some liposuction may be needed. .
  • This is essentially what the second opinion surgeon is suggesting.
  • Sadly, revisions are not done for free unless your original surgeon is willing to do a free revision for you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS