20 year old female, 5'2", 255lbs - I'm healthy but I can't shake my fat. Is liposuction right for me? (photo)

I have good blood pressure, blood sugar, my thyroid levels are normal. I eat no more than 1,600 calories a day( healthy food) and I walk an hour a day. I just have a very weird and disgusting shape, the fat I have sits on me so weirdly, it hurts and makes a lot of every day things hard. Basically what I'm trying to say is, it isn't the numbers on the scale that bothers me, it's how I look.

Liposuction is best when used as contouring technique

Liposuction is best for people at or near their ideal body weight.  Based on your height and weight your Body Mass Index (BMI) is over 40, which would classify you as morbidly obese.  Body contouring surgery is not a good choice for you.

Losing weight through diet and exercise is a much better option.  Weight Watchers is a wonderful program that works well on everyone.  If you fail with diet and exercise then gastric bypass procedures are very successful.  Don't have any cosmetic body contouring surgery, you will be disappointed.

Good Luck!

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

A tummy tuck will make better improvement but lipo is a great alternative and easier to undergo.

Tummy tucks really flatten tummies great but some patients just want to look better in clothes and be able to move better. Lipo is the great motivator and helps so many patients along the way to feeling better about themselves.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Weight loss is better than liposuction

Looking at your photo, liposuction is not what you are expecting. It only removes  a few pounds and smaller bulges. 

You may indeed need a tummy tuck ( you dont mention if you had children)  

At 5 foot 2 1600 calories may be maintenance and you may have to get to 1300 calories to lose weight. A calorie counter is good, and be aware of sauces, and dressings.

Losing weight is indeed difficult but I would recommend that first. Surgery will not give you the results you are expecting now. After additional weight loss, surgery might help further. I would recommend you get under 200 pounds first, then get a consultation.

20 year old female, 5'2", 255lbs - I'm healthy but I can't shake my fat. Is liposuction right for me?

Hello mvporter - Thanks for your question. I am sorry that you are having this trouble. Unfortunately, liposuction is not a good option for you at this point. Liposuction is designed for spot fat removal in people who are closer to ideal body weight. The anesthetic risks and the probable postoperative cosmetic deformity from too much fat removal aren't worth the procedure. Instead, I would work with a nutritionist and a personal trainer to see how much you could improve on your own with the appropriate lifestyle changes, etc. Additionally, having a consultation for possible weight-loss surgery might be of interest. Keep your eye on the goal and don't get discouraged, as there are lots of options nowadays for weight-loss.

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for weight loss?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Here's the problem -
  • Being overweight causes body inflammation, stress and illness.
  • How you look is a reflection of the numbers on the scale - and it sounds as though you are doing your best, without much progress.
  • So the operation you need is called a gastric by pass. It will lead you to lose the weight you need to shed to stop having pain. 
  • Liposuction is not the answer - at most, it removes ten pounds and the fat soon shows up on other areas unless you lose weight. So ask your regular doctor to refer you to a bariatric surgeon.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

When You're Ready--VASER Hi Def will give you AMAZING results

To have the best results with liposuction, it's best to be at or near your ideal weight, either through weight loss, gastric bypass or other surgical options. At this time, you wouldn't be a candidate for liposuction. I do recommend meeting with a body contouring expert to discuss your long term plan. As after weight loss, I recommend using VASER HI DEF with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting to get the most fat removal, skin tightening, and contouring. This may be combined with skin removal surgery at the same time, if needed. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Is lipo the answer?

You would not get a good result with liposuction. A medical weight loss program might help, or you might consider a gastric sleeve procedure through a bariatric surgeon. After you have lost your weight, you would likely be a candidate for skin reduction surgery. I wish you the best of luck with your efforts.

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction?

Liposuction alone will leave you with more loose skin, and is really designed for people who are close to their ideal body weight anyway (your BMI is 46, which is morbidly obese).  The "numbers on the scale" may not bother you now, but the longer you maintain your weight, the sooner your health will suffer.  Although you are trying to lose weight, you mention you are having a hard time doing it.   I recommend talking with your doctor about a medically supervised weight loss program, or bariatric surgery.  Once you have gotten down to a healthy weight, body contouring procedures will help to remove the excess skin and tighten your problem areas for a better, longer lasting result.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Liposuction may not give much of a result. If have done everything you can and still can't improve the abdominal area, a lipo-abdominoplasty may help. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS