Continued hypersensitivity in skin and nipples 1 year after breast aug?

I had 450cc silicone implants placed one year ago. I still have hypersensitivity in the bottom half of my breast and my nipples. Occasionally it is so bad I can't wear a bra, but that is rare. Is this a normal occurrence to have sensitivity last this long? I'd described the pain like a blocked duct under my nipples. I've searched everywhere and cannot find any answers.

Hypersensitivity

Thank you very much for your question.

I'm sorry this is happening to you.  While some patients do get hypersensitivity, this is usually a temporary thing.  At 1 year, it has usually resolved.  I would talk with your surgeon about desensitization maneuvers that may help.  Best of luck!

Chicago General Surgeon

Hypersensitivity one year post BA

Hypersensitivity at this point is unusual.  You can try some desensitization "exercises" by tapping on the area or gently rubbing different textured fabrics over the area to try to reprogram your brain to not perceive this as hypersensitivity, much like you would desensitize an amputation stump.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Hypersensitivity

Hyper sensitivity after breast augmentation in my experience is not uncommon and can last a year or longer in some people. I think that it is a form of what we call reflex sympathetic dystrophy similar to the injury that you get in the extremities. The treatment and we recommend in our office is a textured washcloth while in the shower or bathtub applied to the area for a good 5 to 10 minutes every day. Like in the rehabilitation of this injury in the fingers, I believe that the continuous stimulation of the sensory nerves will finally overtake those of the sympathetic nervous system and provide for a more normal sensation. Ask your plastic surgeon for their recommendations. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Sensitivity 1 year after breast implants.

Greetings and thanks for raising your concerns. Nerves heal slowly and it may take up to 24 months for full healing. Your breast nerves were stretched by the breast implant and stretch is a form of injury that causes nerves to malfunction - therefore giving you hypersensitivity. Other factors like the fit and tightness of the bra may be playing a role in when and how your symptoms manifest. Consider therapy to de-sensitize the nerves with vibration, massage, and oral nerve medication. The most common medication being Gabapentin. You will have to talk to your plastic surgeon or primary doctor to confirm the diagnosis and treatment. Best wishes always, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD