Is it possible to get insurance to cover a deviated septum than cover extra costs on your own for a rhinoplasty?

I'm fairly confident my insurance will cover the deviated septum but is it also possible to have a surgeon preform a rhinoplasty as well and cover the extra costs on my own

Health insurance to cover a deviated septum and Cosmetic fee to cover rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance. Septoplasty a procedure to straighten a deviated nasal septum to improve breathing may be a component of an overall nose surgery. If the deviated septum is the source of nasal breathing issues, then health insurance companies may cover the cost of the functional part of your surgery. Keep in mind the cosmetic portion of the surgery will not be covered by health insurance companies. Don't forget to factor in anesthesia and facility fees associated with the surgery. 

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty candidate

It is possible to perform both a rhinoplasty and a septoplasty at the same time under the same anesthesia, with the same recovery period. A septoplasty is performed for medical necessity which must be documented at the time of examination and consultation. Preauthorization is usually required by your medical insurance company. Expect to pay for the rhinoplasty component yourself, which is considered cosmetic. For more information and diagrams describing the differences between the two procedures, please see link and the video below

Hello prettypistol - Thanks for your question. Yes it is possible to have insurance cover a medically necessary septoplasty procedure for a deviated septum, and then pay out-of-pocket for the cosmetic portion of a rhinoplasty. This is a very common scenario. Just make sure that you have exhausted your medical options first so that surgery for the septum is indicated. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Insurance + cosmetic

Hello.  Some insurance companies will cover septoplasties as functional.  If your insurance will do this, then you can talk with your surgeon to discuss the pricing of your septorhinoplasty.  Most likely, the surgeon will reduce the total surgeon's fee by the septoplasty fee.  You will then be responsible for the remaining balance.  Keep in mind facility and anesthesia fees will also have to be factored into your total costs.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Deviated Nasal Septum

Thanks for your post. I am glad you asked this question as this situation commonly occurs with patients seeking help for a deviated nasal septum, along with the desire for cosmetic improvement for the nose via rhinoplasty. Yes, you can ask your physician to utilize your insurance benefits for eligible services, say septoplasty, and then simply handle your non-insurance based rhinoplasty procedure on a self-pay basis with your physician's office. There may be additional hospital fees associated with the cosmetic portion as well but typically, there may be some discount offered too. Each practice may have a different policy to address this issue, so best to speak with the rhinoplasty specialists' staff about how to coordinate combined surgery with insurance. Hope this information helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon