Breast Reduction and Insurance.

I recently was approved for a breast reduction through bcbs that i been wanting for a long time.The Ps I went to wants me to pay 2200 out of pocket money I don't have.I was wondering if I could go to another Ps to get a smaller amount.

Breast reduction

If your procedure is covered by your insurance, I am not certain why your surgeon is requiring $2200.  It might be your expected out of pocket expense based on your insurance coverage but most surgeons do not collect that money up front.  If you have concerns, I would certainly consult with another surgeon and indicate it has already been approved through insurance.  If the new surgeon agrees with the approval, only a change in provider would then need to be completed.
Good luck,

Dr. Luong

Edina Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Insurance.

Insurance companies generally have a deductible amount that you must pay during a calendar year. If you have not yet met that amount, it would be likely the surgeon would want that up front. But $2200 is an odd number for the deductible amount, it sounds like you need to check with your carrier. And yes, it is OK to go to another surgeon. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Not sure what payment is for

Thanks for your question. I'm excited for you that your reduction was approved. The  only fee you should have to pay is whatever your policy deductible states. This is collected prior to surgery. There should not be "extra" fees for the reduction. If you don't feel like you are getting the answers you want, I would seek a 2nd opinion. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD