Nose looks straight while taped, but bump persists when not taped. Any suggestions?

I had a closed reduction about a month and a half ago to fix a frontal impact nasal fracture from a MVA. My nose looks straighter when it is taped down, but when the tape is removed the bump on the bridge persists. Doc said it may go away after 6 months. Or i may need a rasp to fix it. Since it looks straihht when taped is this a good sign that it will return to its normal straightness on the profile of the bridge?

Post op issues

meddygrl, we cannot tell you what you are seeing and what  your surgeon is feeling. Listen to your surgeon and if you are not satisfied see a specialist after six months to a year. Good luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire. It's too early to make value judgments. Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  Remember, you should always address any post-operative concerns with your primary surgeon.  It is very important to remember it takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. I hope you find this helpful. Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS

Board Certified ENT

Board Certified Plastic Surgery

Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty - Recovery First

At 1 month, you are extremely early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point.The swelling during this time is rarely symmetric. One side will always resolve more quickly than the other. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD