Dorsal hump and profile difference after nasal fracture (Photo)

hit by a truck while in my 4door car, airbags did not deploy & the bridge of my nose hit steering wheel causing a fracture nose was reset by a plastic surgeon 6 days after initial injury & it has now been a month. hump has formed on the bridge along the fracture line on 1 side of my profile with a smaller hump on the other side & aclicking sound when touched on nose the bridge is wider than before could this be due to swelling or will i need a surgery to fix, or could the bone be shaved?

Trauma and rhinoplasty

The goal immediately after trauma is to try to centralize the nose and reduce the fracture. Any refinement like treating bumps usually has to wait at least 6 months or longer when everything has healed. 

Wide nose after trauma

After resetting of the nose call closed reduction of nasal fracture there can be significant swelling for a few weeks to a few months.  You should wait long enough which would be about 3 months before you decide if you need any surgery.If the hump is still present at that time then you will need a revision rhinoplasty to reduce the hump, osteotomies to bring in the sidewalls and make the nose appear narrow and a tip plasty to make the nasal tip appear narrow.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fractured nose after MVA

I'm sorry about your accident.
You will need to be patient and wait several months to see if you will need corrective surgery. Please allow your body to heal itself until then. Swelling in the face (especially noses) takes a long time to resolve.

Hope this helps.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to correct dorsal hump after nasal trauma

Thank you for your question and for posting photos. The immediate goal following trauma is to reduce (reset) the nasal bones to their natural position and prevent significant twisting or deviation of the nose. It is not uncommon for the injured bone to react and cause bony protrusions that were not present prior to the injury. These can be corrected at a later date with rhinoplasty. In general I recommend patients wait a minimum of 6 months (waiting 9-12 months is even better) after nasal trauma before having a rhinoplasty to correct any deformities. I recommend you schedule consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is experienced in rhinoplasty.

Josh Surowitz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump removal and nasal fracture

At this point probably best to wait a period of time say 6 months to allow all the swelling to subside from both the injury and the surgery that you've previously had.  Once the nose  swelling has subsided, consider a rhinoplasty procedure to straighten and narrow the nasal bones and shave down the dorsal hump. Revision rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor, so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your accident, but glad that your injuries were not more severe.

I suggest that you remain patient because the outcome of Rhinoplasty is fully perceptible only once the patient has finished healing, which occurs at the 9 to 12 months post op mark, and sometimes even longer. It is important for you to minimize swelling at this early stage of recovery as much as possible.

Please continue to keep your board certified facial plastic surgeon aware of your recovery process to monitor your healing.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon