I want to get Belotero filler in my tear troughs. My eyebags bother me and have gotten worse over the last year or so. (Photo)

I have seen two nurses who assessed the area & have reccommended against filler due to the fact that I have eye puffiness, they say it will make the area more puffiness because of the hylauronic acid. I have been researching alot on realself & seen the amazing results that most people have received with this filler & i feel some of those patients had more puffiness then myself. Just wanting another honest opinions about if this is the right treatment for me or any other recommendations.

Doctor Answers 11

Proper volumization of the tear troughs with HA fillers like Belotero

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
thank you for your Q and picture posts.

Ver little Belotero in this area will help you, and resist getting half a syringe in each. The HA products are very hydrophilic and they have potential to "draw" water molecules and cause undue swelling. A very conservative approach should be taken in volumizing this area. You can always go back for more. Also, expert placement is key to prevent the Tyndall effect where there will be discoloration due to refraction of light through the product in this area of the face where the skin is very very thin. Tyndall effect is an optical physics term. 

Dr Karamanoukian

I want to get Belotero filler in my tear troughs. My eyebags bother me and have gotten worse over the last year or so

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is true that in patients who have even mild undereye puffiness, this is due to water retention in the undereye fat pad (all genetically caused) which can become worse with any hyaluronic acid filler. The only current treatment for this fat pad is surgical removal, although there may be a topical cream to shrink this fat pad (called Topokine®) to be approved by the FDA in the next few years.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Tear troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I do think you would benefit from a small amount of a soft filler in your tear troughs. In the tear troughs, I generally like to use soft hyaluronic fillers such as Restylane Silk or Belotero, but every patient is a little different. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht. 

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

You might also like...

Belotero for tear troughs?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photos.  I do see the area that you are bothered with and this is a very common complaint amongst patients.  Tear troughs/eye bags/dark circles under the eyes can be nicely improved with filler placement (popular ones include restylane and belotero).  This is a particularly more advanced technique given its higher chance of bruising, swelling, and thin skin that may show irregularities.  It is best to see someone who is board certified and skilled in this area.  Many prefer to treat conservatively in this area as it does tend to attract water and this contributes to its 'filling' result.  It is always easy to add a little more later as a touch up if needed.  I hope this helps!

Natalie Attenello, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Belotero with a Microcannula

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi sheridan1308

Thanks for your question and the photos.  Based on your photos I think you would be an excellent patient for treatment of the tear toughs.  A little goes a long way in this area. In order to have a safe, even injection I use a microcannula. It's also great for minimizing bruising.  Your best option is to seek a thorough consultation from a board-certified dermatologist who specializes in fillers.  

All the best,
Dr. Carroll

Julia Carroll, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Dermal fillers to treat eye bags

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing your question and photos. You could have Belotero or Restylane injected into the tear troughs to hide the lower eyelid bags. This procedure should be performed by an experienced doctor who has an expertise in this area. Good luck.

Belotero for tear troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Injecting belotero  into the tear  troughs is an advanced technique. The results when done properly are very good. I suggest you seek a board certified physician in your area, who has had the proper training in this technique.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Filler can be effective to restore undereye volume

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Fillers under the eye/tear trough areas are safe and quite effective when administered by a highly skilled provider/injector. Most fillers consist of hyaluronic acid (HA) which is hydrophilic meaning they attract water, adding volume, so a little goes a long way in such a small area. Filler would likely conceal some of the "tear trough" in that area of the lower eyelid. It needs to be placed in the correct location so it does not worsen the appearance and "puffy" look to your lower eyelids.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Belotero and Eye Fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is very difficult to tell from the photo but it appears that you would be a good candidate for fillers in the under eye area.  Please consult an expert in this delicate area.  Best. Dr. Green

Recommend a plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You should seek out a plastic surgeon with experience in deep fillers, and fillers in the tear trough.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.