Can I still have the breast augmentation surgery even if my thyroid is out of wack? (Photo)

I am only 18 and should not be dealing with the things I am going through at this age it has been really taxing. I have hypothyroidism and slight Hoshimoto's disease still trying to get my fatigue under control other than my thyroid I am extremely healthy. I don't eat dairy gluten or soy and am usually extremely active. I want to have my surgery done in January/2015...What are my options? I am so anxious to have my new boobs now, I am ready to feel like a women!! Thanks!!

Healthy for surgery

I would suggest asking your family physician if you are healthy enough for surgery.  If he/she gives you the approval, then find a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your desires for and concerns about the surgery.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Thyroid issues prior to breast augmentation

It is always better to try to be in your healthiest state prior to any surgery, including breast augmentation.  Make sure to visit with  a board certified plastic surgeon.

Breast Implants and Thyroid Problems

Take care of your thyroid condition as a top priority, then consider breast augmentation after that.  You medical conditions should be stabilized prior to undergoing elective cosmetic surgery.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Can I still have the breast augmentation surgery even if my thyroid is out of wack?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your pictures, you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. This operation should be performed for you once your thyroid condition is under optimal control.  Obtaining “clearance” from your internist or endocrinologist will be helpful. Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is: 1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. Sometimes, it is necessary to seek several consultations before you feel comfortable about your choice. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate. Again, best not to discuss your goals and/or judge the outcome of the procedure performed based on achieving a specific cup size.  The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during the communication process.   3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. I generally select appropriate breast implant size/profile after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers and viewing the patient's chest in the upright and supine positions. I hope this (and the attached link,  dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps.

Thyroid issues and breast enlargements.

Hi Amanda,

Have patience and get your thyroid issues cared for. When your treating endocrinologist clears you for surgery, you will probably feel much more comfortable with your plastic surgery.

You should discuss the Hashimoto's and your hypothyroidism with your plastic surgeon when you go in for a consultation... 

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast augementation and thyroid.

Thank you for your question. Speak with your surgeon about your full medical history and discuss any hurdles. If there is anything stopping your from surgery remember it is better to have everything under control before undergoing elective surgery.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Can I have surgery with Hoshimoto's

I agree with Dr. DeMars.  You should be fine having surgery.  However, as always be upfront with your plastic surgeon, and have them coordinate with your endocrinologist.  Your levels should be checked and your hormones regulated properly.  Take care and good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

Patients with Hashioto's can have surgery without any increased risk, but only if their thyroid hormone is properly regulated and they are neither hypo- nor hyperthyrooid.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD