Running after a Tummy Tuck?

I am having surgery on Dec 5th and have a half marathon scheduled for March 19th. Is this enough time to be half marathon ready? I usually run about 12 miles a week currently (2 )3-mile days, and 6 miles on the weekend. I know I'll need to wait about 6 weeks before I can start running again. I guess I'm wondering if I'll be ready for a half in March or if I should sit that one out.

Surgery and marathon to follow

You will have to review this with your surgeon and see how you are healing before starting back on your routine.

Running after a tummy tuck.

You should certainly ask your treating plastic surgeon to be sure of his or her recommendations. In my practice, I recommend absolutely no exercise of any kind until all the bruising is gone, usually about 3-4 weeks. At that point I allow low impact aerobic only exercise, no core workout. I prefer my patients to wait 8 weeks before any core workout or high impact exercise.

Assuming that schedule, you should be able to start to train regularly early in February. If you feel like 6 weeks of training will be enough to complete training for the half marathon, I say "go for it!"

Running after a Tummy Tuck?

It is commendable that you wish to return to exercise as soon as possible after surgery. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Having said that, I ask my tummy tuck patients to start walking ASAP after surgery but refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks to prevent complications and ensure proper healing. It may be 4-6 months before you reach your full energy and strength levels. Best to “go slow” and listen to your body as you gradually increase or activity level. Best wishes.

Running and Exercising After a Tummy Tuck

I would check with your surgeon to see what his/her recommendations are. If you have surgery in early December, you might be able to resume training in mid-late January. I usually recommend 2 weeks of no strenuous exercise and 6 weeks of no heavy weight lifting. I'm not sure if you will be ready for a half marathon in March. That doesn't give you a lot of time to ramp up your training. 

You can see how it goes, but I would definitely allow your body adequate time to heal. 

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Running after a Tummy Tuck?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well. I recommend to ask to your surgeon, each surgeon has different policy and also the best thing to do is to follow all his recommendations.

Good luck in this journey! :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon