Would it be safe to go larger? (Photo)

Had breast augmentation almost a year ago with 286cc. As a first augmentation do you think this was the max I could have gone ? And if so second time around could i go larger or is there not enough tissue / or is my skin not stretched enough. Before I make a consultation I want to get a feel for if its a safe choice .

Is bigger better?

Thank you for your question. You have a VERY nice result. It is very common after a breast augmentation to second guess and wonder if you could have/should have gone larger. There are larger or ultrahigh profile implants that have the same base diameter but offer more projection that can be utilized to achieve the effect that you seek. Using a very large implant can risk skin changes such as stretch marks. Speak to the surgeon who did your breast augmentation. Keep in mind that sometimes the enemy of good is better. You have a very nice natural looking result. 

Best Wishes,

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Too small after brest augmentation

Thank you for your question and for attaching photos. First, in my opinion you have an excellent result. This being said the number one complaint is “I wish I went bigger”. You could potentially go larger, but to really notice a difference, in my experience you are going to need to go at least 100cc larger. Without knowing your base diameter it is difficult to say if this is possible. If you have a moderate or high profile right now, your surgeon can probably look at the ultra-high profile implants that have the same base diameter as your current implants and find something larger that would work. All this being said, “bigger is not always better”. The more times you have breast surgery and the bigger the implants, the higher the complication rate down the road. It really depends on the look you are trying to achieve. You have a very nice result, but at a year out if you feel too small, you could potentially go larger. Think on it and go from there. Good luck.

Increasing implant size

You could go larger. Based on the diameter of your current implant and the appearance in 3 of the 4 photos it would probably be an option to change to a high profile implant of about the same diameter or maybe a little wider and get a more projecting breast and maybe a little more dramatic cleavage. The result would be rounder on top, likely less natural in appearance and the risks would include loss of sensation (assuming it's still intact), lower pole stretch (bottoming out) and perhaps a small chance of rippling. Larger implants weigh more and tend to stretch out and change your tissues more over time.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Going larger with breast implants

You certainly have an excellent outcome with a very natural appearance. However, "going larger" is one of the most common requests following breast augmentation surgery, especially after the initial swelling resolves. Going larger typically means choosing an implant that is sufficiently larger to produce a noticeable appearance. In my experience this averages about 50% larger or in your case about 143 cc. There are more risks with larger implants including soft tissue atrophy, double bubble, nerve damage and more. However, the pain and recovery associated with this is remarkably less than the initial procedure. Best of luck

Increasing Breast Implant Size?

Most patients could go larger in the future once the breast tissue has stretched and relaxed.  However, every patient is different and there are those that simply cannot or should not for various reasons.  The only way to know would be to go for a few consultations with board certified plastic surgeons who do extensive breast work and see what will work best for you.  I hope this helps.

Without knowing the anatomy before the first breast augmentation, it's not possible to really say if you could have gone larger.  Regarding whether or not it's "safe" to go larger this time, an in-person exam will be necessary.  Something to keep in mind (and I'm confident you already know this), is that there is not really a "safe" size where a surgeon can guarantee no complications from the implant.  If you already have a beautiful result, it is up to you to determine how unhappy you are with your current breasts, and whether or not it's worth the risks of going larger (infection, contracture, thinned skin, bottoming out, etc.) which if they occur will leave you far more unhappy than where you are now.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Would it be safe to go larger?

Thank you for the question. It is hard to say whether you could have gone larger with your first breast augmentation procedure; having said that, your current breast implants seem to fit your torso nicely.

Generally speaking, every patient undergoing breast augmentation surgery should understand that their anatomic starting point will limit the outcome of breast augmentation surgery.    In other words, a patient's starting anatomy will limit how large of a breast implant can be utilized safely. The use of a larger breast implant (than what is safely "allowed" by the patient's anatomy) can be problematic;  potential problems include breast implant displacement/malpostion issues ( such as bottoming out, lateral displacement, symmastia...)  and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.

Although it is not possible to provide you with definitive advice without an person evaluation, most patients are able to "go larger" at a second stage, once the breast tissues have expanded (after first-time breast augmentation).  Sometimes, during this revisionary surgery, adjustment of the breast implant capsules is also necessary to achieve the desired outcome.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D or DD cup” or "lots of underboob" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Revision surgery for larger implant?

There is truly no way of saying whether you could have gone bigger during your first breast augmentation without an in-person exam.

Please realize that implant size has to be tailored to your breast boundaries and characteristics in what we surgeons call tissue-based planning. In this planning, we record your breast base width, the distance from the nipple to inframammary fold on stretch, and the amount of skin stretch in the breast skin near the nipple. These measurements among others allows us to choose an implant size that adequately fills your breasts providing a natural, and aesthetic look. Overly filling the breasts beyond their limitations can result in not only unnatural looking breasts, but also a multitude of problems such as, bottoming out (i.e., an empty upper pole, high positioned nipple), double bubble deformity, implant malposition, implant visibility, breast sagging, and breast tissue wasting, excessive thinning of breast skin, nipple hypersensitivity, or loss of nipple sensation, etc.

By looking at your photos, it seems as though the implants fit your breasts proportionately. The skin seems tight and perky. However without an in-person exam, we can never say anything conclusively.

Now if you decide to go larger, you may risk losing the perfect results you currently have. Depending how much you want to increase your implant size, nothing can be said.

I kindly suggest that you revisit the same surgeon and clearly communicate your wishes to get larger breasts.

Hopefully something can be done for you.

Martin Jugenburg, MD