Should I be worried if the tip of my nose including the septum is still firm 4 years after bilateral septoplasty & rhinoplasty?

I had bilateral septoplasty and rhinoplasty in 2012. They also put a piece of cartilage as a patch on one side of the tip because it was dented inward. I went to 2 follow up appointments and he said it looked ok. I missed my third appointment because I was going through a trying time in my life (serious upheaval). I have felt concerned for the last couple of years because the tip of my nose and the septum area are still a bit firm. There is no pain and it looks ok. Should i be concerned?

Tip firmness

This is normal due to the fibrosis/scarring that occurs under the skin. If you are satisfied with the cosmetic result, there is no need for concern.                                          .

Firm nasal tip

Thanks for your question. Believe it or not, this is a good thing. One of the things that we've learned about rhinoplasty over the last 30 years is that the skin contracts down against the nasal skeleton with a LOT of force following rhinoplasty surgery. It is important to reinforce the strength of the nasal tip cartilages to prevent collapse and a droopy tip. I always warn my patients that their nasal tip will be more firm than it was before, but it's doing important work for you. If you're worried, please go visit with your surgeon, but it sounds like this is nothing to be concerned about.

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Based on the information you have shared, you only went to 2 follow up appointments after surgery.  It takes months to heal from this surgery.  You should have visited your surgeon on a routine basis.  Without seeing a copy of your operative report online consultants do not know what was done in your procedure, so therefore will be unable to offer advice.  I would recommend you contact your surgeon and discuss your concerns.  What you have described at 4 years is unusual, and should be addressed.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD