I just want to make my outside lips of my private smaller. Is it possible?

Considering a Labiaplasty

Reducing the labia majora, or outer lips, is certainly possible and can make a big difference in how your clothing fits if they are large or pendulous. This area is often enlarged after childbearing but also in women who have lost a lot of weight. It can be unsightly, creating a bulge in tighter fitting garments like workout clothes. The surgery removes excess skin and often underlying fatty tissue through well-hidden incisions.

Candidate for a labiaplasty

Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Labia Majora Enhancement

Less commonly, patients will present for correction of the outer Lips or the #LabiaMajora.  They may either be too large or too small or sometimes deflated with age or weight loss. Reduction can be accomplished with an incision on the inner or outer side depending upon the anatomy for the patient.  Enlargement can be performed with fat grafting which will provide a fuller more youthful appearance.

Labiaplasty

It sounds like you are an excellent candidate for a labiaplasty. I prefer the posterior wedge technique which can be performed in conjunction with a hoodectomy. This technique preserves sensation and has the best cosmetic outcome.  This is a simple out patient procedure with a quick recovery.
Dr Ennis

Is it possible to make my outer lips smaller?

Hello Island Girl,Yes, it is certainly possible to make your outer lips smaller. This procedure is called a Labia Majora Reduction or Labiaplasty of the Labia Majora. This can be performed as an in-office procedure under local anesthesia. Many women travel to Denver to have this and many other procedures under local anesthesia without the added costs of hospital and anesthesiology fees. You should search for a surgeon with vast experience and be sure to look at their before and after photos to assess the quality of their work. See link below to look at hundreds of photos.Best of luck, 

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty

It is very possible to accomplish a reduction of your enlarged labia.  Multiple surgical options exist that can be customized according to the degree of labial excess and your overall surgical goals.  Good luck!

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Labia Majora Reduction

Thank you for your question.  Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure that may improve one's confidence and resolve physical issues that one may have with an enlarged labia majora or minora.  Clitoral hood reduction may also be indicated depending on the findings on physical examination.  I would recommend a consultation with an experience cosmetic genital surgeon.  There are several types of surgeons who promote themselves as performing labiaplasty, but a Cosmetic Urologist can offer unique qualifications compared to plastic surgeons, gynecologists and general urologists.  Cosmetic Urologists typically have both extensive training and experience in both cosmetic and reconstructive genital surgery.  Unlike the large number of these other specialists, there is a much smaller number of qualified Cosmetic Urologists who are dedicated to the surgery of the genitalia.  Other specialists may not have practices dedicated solely to the genitalia -- plastic surgeons may also be performing breast implants and facelifts, gynecologists may also be performing hysterectomies and caring for menopause, and general urologists may also be performing surgery for prostate cancer and erectile dysfunction.    Best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

I just want to make my outside lips of my privates smaller. Is it possible?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  It is possible to reduce a woman's outer lips - the labia majora - with a small surgical procedure.  This allows removal of excess skin tissue but you need an in-person examination to discuss the best treatment option as fat grafting may also be needed to yield the best results.  See a labiaplasty specialist for the best recommendations.

Labia Majora Reduction

Dear Island Girl:
It is certainly possible this is simply called a labia majora reduction or labiaplasty of the labia minora.  I caution you to find a surgeon who does these routinely.   How do you choose a surgeon?  you should choose a surgeon based upon experience, expertise, reputation and results.  Results can be seen with the surgeons before and after photos.  There are few surgeons in the world who do labia majora reductions choose a surgeon who performs them and has a section on their website dedicated to majora reduction.  My partner and I wrote the first paper in the world performing labia minora reduction with a labia majora reduction.  You can find it on my website.
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Labia

Yes, this is a very common concern of women of all ages. It is possible to do a labiaplasty of both the inner and outer lobs of the labia depending on your needs. Best wishes!