Do I need another tummy tuck with new muscle repair? (photos)

December 2012 I had abdominalplasty with muscle repair great results, stomach was completely flat after I went back into surgery for the repair of a seroma. April 2016 I had a Hystorectomy removal of fibroids, uterus and cervics. I noticed what I thouhgt it might be another seroma. Five months post op and my stomach is very loose and flabby. What could have happened? Could my muscle repair have been damaged? Do I need another tummy tuck with new muscle repair?

Do I need another tummy tuck with new muscle repair? = possibly, or at least panniculectomy

Patients that underwent a tummy tuck and subsequently undergo other abdominal surgeries and/or weight gain may develop changes in their abdomen. These changes could be laxity of the repaired muscles, excess of fat and/or excess of skin. Depending on the findings, the patient may need an total redo of their tummy tuck or just a simple excision of the excess of the skin bellow the belly button  without muscle re-repair ( panniculectomy)Patients interested in tummy tuck revision  should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the body

Gynecologist went right through muscle repair

The gynecololgists went right through the muscle repair and that is why you have a bulge.  The surgery will need to be repeated.

Previous tummy tuck

Thank you for your photos. It looks you had a great results after your initial surgery. It is difficult to determine the cause of your recent changes without a physical examination. It can range from residual swelling to another seroma or stretched muscles and skin from your previous surgeries and seromas. It is best to have an in-office examination so that your plastic surgeon can determine the exact cause. You may need a revision to restore your abdomen, although it may not need to be as extensive as your original surgery. Hope this helps!!
Johnson C. Lee MD, Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Revision Tummy Tuck

Hello,I'm sorry you lost your initial good result. The good news is that a revision would not only improve your contour, but also lower your scar, giving your abdomen an undivided, scar free appearance.  Since you had a seroma that required a revision surgery, you probably don't want another one.  So, insist on a drain free surgery.  New data indicates drains are the cause of seromas, and so eliminating their use will improve the patient experience as well as results vastly.  In order to achieve this, your surgeon will need to use 'progressive tension sutures' to avoid the use of drains.  If you surgeon insists on drains, find a ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that doesn't. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Revision TT after Gyn surgery

Many things could have happened between then and now. regardless of cause, it appears you could benefit from a revision tummy tuck at this point if you would like to look the way that you used to(in your old picture)

Abdominal bulge after gynecological surgery

The bulge could be due to a number of causes:   1. Weight gain   2. Seroma   3. Muscle damage and weakening bulge.   A thorough examination and possibly an ultrasound should determine the cause. All are treatable. See an Experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Do I need another tummy tuck with new muscle repair?

I'm sure you know we are going to say you need to see your doctor for an exam, but it looks like you probably have a chronic seroma. That can cause the skin to "bunch up" like that and requires a small surgery to go back in and remove all of the seroma cavity wall.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy revision

It's certainly possible to need a revision after a tummy tuck, even if things were perfect. Have you gained weight? And through what incision was your uterus removed? Was your plastic surgeon there?  Sorry a lot of questions but important. The muscles may need to be re tightened and your skin tightened also. Tough to tell just based on pics though