Are there any side effects to having Botox and is it safe?

Almost No Side Effects For Botox

Botox is safe enough to be called the “21st Century aspirin.” The main side effects when you receive Botox to relax your wrinkles and allow your skin to smooth out and repair itself are due to injection trauma. Because Botox must be delivered through very thin needles, which requires piercing your skin, you may have some injection-site swelling, soreness, and/or bruising, depending on how sensitive you are. This shouldn't be any more traumatic, though, than the soreness that occurs after giving blood. You may also notice some pea-sized bumps directly after administration, as the Botox may pool up before dispersing throughout the muscle. Rarer side effects include dry mouth, mild nausea or diarrhea, droopy eyelids, blurred or double vision, itchy or watery eyes and stiff neck or muscles. Please talk to a board-certified dermatologist to learn more about how to use Botox to prevent and remove wrinkles safely and efficaciously.

Botox Is Safe In Expert Hands

Botox has had an excellent safety profile for 30 years. Other than possible temporary soreness, bruising or swelling at the injection sites that should resolve within days, there should be no side effects with Botox. The only bad results I am aware of have been from unskilled practitioner error. Administered incorrectly, Botox can give you a “frozen” look, droopy eyes, or distorted smile. More egregious errors could lead to blurred vision and nerve damage. Please do not trust your Botox injections to someone without expertise; consult a board-certified dermatologist with years of experience and knowledge of facial anatomy to help rejuvenate your face.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Side Effects & Safety

Botox has been used safely for years and is considered the most popular injectable treatment in the United States. As long as you are visiting a board certified plastic surgeon or physician, it is completely safe. Make sure you check your doctor’s qualifications before undergoing any cosmetic treatment with them. Some side effects include redness, headache, and bruising. You also might have a little bit of soreness at the injection site. However, these side effects are normal and do not last long.

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Botox

While Botox is generally considered a safe procedure it is important that Botox be administered by a trained experienced provider and in a sterile setting to reduce complications. While some bruising or swelling at the injection site is not unusual, If Botox is given incorrectly then the complications can be quite serious. Serious complications include trouble swallowing, speaking or breathing, droopy eyelids, blurred vision, and spreading of the Botox from the injection site. Choose your provider carefully.  

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Botox side effect

There is no risk of permanent side effects after treatment with Botox.  Even after one treatment the area that is treated will be softer and smoother after the effects have worn off than if you had never had a treatment before.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox side effects

Side effects of Botox are usually mild and temporary such as pinpoint bleeding from the injection site, redness, headache, and/or bruising. Botox is a commonly performed treatment and very safe with rarely with long-term side effects.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Safety of Botox injections

I like to tell my patients that Botox is the safest procedure I do in my practice, in my opinion. Millions of treatments are performed each year. However, as with any medical treatment, there are some risks. The most common risk are bruising, swelling, and other injection site reactions. Some patients experience headache with injection. Dry eyes and brow/lid ptosis may also rarely occur. Have your treatment performed by an experienced injector and you will almost certainly be fine!

Is Botox safe

Botox is FDA approved and is the most common procedure of any type in the world. Of course that does not mean side effects are not possible as all procedures have that possibility. Bruising, lumps, discomfort, headache, can occur. there have never been reported permanent side effects

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox safety

Botox is a safe treatment for fine lines and wrinkles. In experienced hands there are minimal side effects. I would recommend to have your injections from an experienced doctor who can manage any problems you may have. More importantly go to a Doctor that shows you the product they are using as well as the expiry dates. This is unfortunately a problem in the UK. The right product and the right doctor make a fantastic combination!

Botox Safety

Botox has a wonderful safety profile.  I have been injecting it and receiving it for 30 years now and the only side effects I have experienced is that I looka lot younger than other 63 year old men(except for my patients who received Botox!)

Gregory Pistone, MD
Cherry Hill Dermatologist