Is there something else I could do to tone my thighs without getting a thigh lift, and should I lipo my outer thighs? (photos)

My PS said that he wouldn't be able to do liposuction on my inner thighs, because I would need a inner thigh lift, but he could do some on the outer. He said they weren't that bad, so we stopped talking about it. I have a Tummy tuck scheduled in a few weeks and I'm going back and forth about my thighs. My inner thighs bother me more, but I don't want to do a thigh lift. Is there something else I could do to tone the area that actually works, and do you think I should do my outer thighs?

Improve inner thighs without a thight lift

Thank you for asking about your thigh lift and liposuction.
  • Your plastic surgeon has given you good advice -
  • Liposuction of the inner thighs will only make your skin looser.
  • Your only other option is to tone them with vigorous exercises that emphasize the inner thigh muscles.
  • These are hard to do unless you have ballet training although a barre class might help.
  • As for your outer thighs, your plastic surgeon may be able to get some tightening of the outer thighs with the tummy tuck  - ask him about this if he is planning to liposuction that area.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Inner Thigh Lift

Good morning, and thank you for your question.  I think an inner thigh lift will pull up and tighten the hanging loose skin that you don't like.  Liposuction only to the inner thigh will give you more loose skin that won't look and feel nice.  There are some ultrasound assisted liposuction devices; they add a little skin tightening to the procedure but not a ton.  Whether you have liposuction to the outer thighs is a separate issue and really depends on how bad they bother you.  Based on your pictures, I would recommend horizontal medial thigh lift only.  This will place your incision high in the groin so that its not visible when wearing shorts, skirts, dresses, etc.  The results are long-lasting, and your down-time will be about one week.  Good luck!

Ryan Marshall, DO
Missoula Plastic Surgeon

Find the right surgeon

Far more important than deciding if liposuction is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting and Skin Removal

Non invasive treatments will do very little but can be done such as exilis, venus legacy, thermiRF/thermismooth.  Skin should be removed and the area treated with liposuction at the same time for the best outcome. I suggest a formal consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.